MGMAT Non-Profit CR Question

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

MGMAT Non-Profit CR Question

by kris_hansy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:40 am
Pls read below and tell me what "for-profit colleges enroll a greater proportion of financially disadvantaged students than do non-profit colleges" means? Does it mean - financially disadvantaged students in the whole country, etc. i.e. larger % of finan. disadv. students country area studies at non-profit coll.? Or does it mean that financially disad. students are larger % of total students at for-college.... I always get confused in such things and make mistakes....

For-profit colleges serve far fewer students than either public or private non-profit colleges. At the same time, relative to non-profit colleges, for-profit colleges draw a disproportionate share of federal and state financial aid, such as tuition grants and guaranteed loans, for their students. It must be, then, that for-profit colleges enroll a greater proportion of financially disadvantaged students than do non-profit colleges.

The conclusion above depends on which of the following assumptions?

Public non-profit colleges and private non-profit colleges enroll a similar proportion of financially disadvantaged students.

For-profit colleges do not engage in fraudulent practices in helping their students obtain unneeded federal and state financial aid.

The number of students receiving federal and state financial aid at for-profit colleges is greater than the number of students receiving federal and state financial aid at non-profit colleges.

For-profit colleges are of similar educational quality as non-profit colleges.

The majority of students at for-profit colleges do not default on repayment of their loans after they complete college.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by delhiboy1979 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:23 am
Hi Kris,

IMO, "for-profit colleges enroll a greater proportion of financially disadvantaged students than do non-profit colleges" means the percentage of finacially disadvantaged students as to the total 100% students is higher in for-profit colleges when compared to non-profit colleges.

BTW IMO the answer is B

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by kris77 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:52 pm
I'd say B but I'm afraid more because of my intuition than any logic.