MGMAT CATs: the Quant section

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

MGMAT CATs: the Quant section

by pulchritudinous » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:36 am
I was wondering, if anyone knew how close to the real GMAT questions the MGMAT quant is. I was taking my second CAT the other day, and just started crying in the middle of the quant section. Before this, I was always good at math, so it's incredibly frustrating. I can't tell, if I'm just weak in quant overall and need to practice like crazy. Most of the problems I have no difficulty in understanding. It's just that when it comes to finishing the problem in two minutes, it's not happening for me at all. Some problems take me like 4-5 minutes plus to solve. They are so misleading, tricky, and convoluted. Is this what the real GMAT will be like exactly?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by anuprajan5 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 am
Hi,

I relate to your situation :) I am no expert, but I have seen a number of posts which state that the MGMAT quant section is much more difficult than the real GMAT exam.

But that being said, I say - bring it on. What doesn't hurt you makes you stronger. I have seen some of the questions and they are absolutely brilliant. As to timing, I know what you are talking about - I also take close to 4 minutes to get some of the more difficult ones done. But I also think the benefit is that you might an efficient way of doing those problems from the key.

My only advice to you would be to not stress as much and try to absorb as much from the experience in terms of taking the test. It helps - because then you learn as to what you need to do when you are gasping for time or are stressed.

Regards
Anup