MGMAT CAT CR

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

MGMAT CAT CR

by voodoo_child » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:42 pm
Scientists have determined that an effective way to lower cholesterol is to eat three servings of whole grains every day. Studies have shown that the cholesterol levels of people who did so were significantly lower after six months than were those of people who did not, even though the cholesterol levels of the two groups had been the same before the studies began. Clearly, eating whole grains can have an appreciable effect on cholesterol levels.

The answer to which of the following questions, if true, would be most useful in evaluating the claim about whole grains above?

a) Is it realistic to expect people to eat three servings of whole grains per day?

b) Were the two groups of people in the study involved in the same exercise program?

c) Can the same drop in cholesterol be achieved through medication?

d) Did the study continue to track the subjects beyond six months?

e) Are most consumers aware of the different between whole grains and processed grains?

Here the OA is B

any thoughts why?

by blaster » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:39 pm
very strange ques. i've never seen this type of question on OG

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:164 members
GMAT Score:800

by Testluv » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:59 pm
voodoo_child wrote:

Here the OA is B

any thoughts why?
This is a relevant information question, which is not an uncommon question type on the GMAT. In such a question, the right answer will be something bi-directional: if it goes in one direction, it will strengthen the argument, and if it goes in the opposite direction, it will weaken the argument. So, these questions can be viewed as hybrid strengthen/weaken questions. The author argues:

"Because a study shows a connection between eating whole grains and lowered cholesterol, eating whole grains works as a way of lowering cholesterol."

Let's look at the right answer, applying this hybrid strengthen/weaken test:
b) Were the two groups of people in the study involved in the same exercise program?
Well, if the answer to this question is NO, the groups were NOT involved in the same exercise program, then the argument is WEAKENED because the improvement in cholesterol levels may have been due to a better exercise program (rather than due to eating whole grains).

And, if the answer is YES, the two groups WERE involved in the same program, then the argument is STRENGTHENED because an alternative cause (better exercise program) would be ruled out. Accordingly, it would be very useful to know the answer to this question in evaluating the claim about whole grains.

Another way of approaching relevant information questions is to think about what the author is assuming. In this question if you recognized the causal structure:

X (eating more grains) and Y (improved cholesterol levels) are connected, therefore X caused Y

then you know right away the author is assuming that there are no other causes.

Furthermore, whenever an argument is based on a study, the arguer ALWAYS assumes that there is nothing wrong with the study.

So, look for an answer choice that suggests that there may be something wrong with the study, perhaps one that also points to another cause--that's exactly what the OA does.
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto

by sandy217 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:56 pm
Testluv wrote:
voodoo_child wrote:

Here the OA is B

any thoughts why?
This is a relevant information question, which is not an uncommon question type on the GMAT. In such a question, the right answer will be something bi-directional: if it goes in one direction, it will strengthen the argument, and if it goes in the opposite direction, it will weaken the argument. So, these questions can be viewed as hybrid strengthen/weaken questions. The author argues:

"Because a study shows a connection between eating whole grains and lowered cholesterol, eating whole grains works as a way of lowering cholesterol."

Let's look at the right answer, applying this hybrid strengthen/weaken test:
Well, if the answer to this question is NO, the groups were NOT involved in the same exercise program, then the argument is WEAKENED because the improvement in cholesterol levels may have been due to a better exercise program (rather than due to eating whole grains).

And, if the answer is YES, the two groups WERE involved in the same program, then the argument is STRENGTHENED because an alternative cause (better exercise program) would be ruled out. Accordingly, it would be very useful to know the answer to this question in evaluating the claim about whole grains.

Another way of approaching relevant information questions is to think about what the author is assuming. In this question if you recognized the causal structure:

X (eating more grains) and Y (improved cholesterol levels) are connected, therefore X caused Y

Furthermore, whenever an argument is based on a study, the arguer ALWAYS assumes that there is nothing wrong with the study.

So, look for an answer choice that suggests that there may be something wrong with the study, perhaps one that also points to another cause--that's exactly what the OA does.
What do u think is the problem with C? Applying the same rule as mentioned above.
If answer for the question is Yes, then the group who under observation reduced the cholesterol level using medicines, thus maintained the cholesterol levels... argument is weakened.
If answer is NO...we eliminated the possibility of other causes which can weaken the argument , hence it strengthens.
Even i selected B as answer, but i am not convinced when i eliminated C, however found B better than C.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:02 pm
I think medication is too far from what is discussed in the passage.

When an option, like B, is available which are more close to what is being discussed and are very nearly related by an assumption, I always prefer to go it.

@Test Luv: Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Regards,

Pranay

by sandy217 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:57 am
bubbliiiiiiii wrote:I think medication is too far from what is discussed in the passage.

When an option, like B, is available which are more close to what is being discussed and are very nearly related by an assumption, I always prefer to go it.

@Test Luv: Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
How can you say medication is too far and exercise is better ;when both are not mentioned in the passage; they both are external factors which might effect the conclusion.
Correct me if am wrong?

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:10 am
I perceive medication as an alternate way to lower cholestrol whereas exercise as a supplementary way which can be used both with medicine and whole grains.

Now, Option C says Can the same drop in cholesterol be achieved through medication? which is too far from passage since we have to evaluate the claim about 'whole grains' and the link between the given way (whole grains) and the alternate way (medicines) is not given in passage we can't determine the relation between the two.

Option B, 'Were the two groups of people in the study involved in the same exercise program?
'
tries to question the people involved in study which included whole grains as only element to reduce cholestrol, I felt this is a straight assumption and can handle the question.

I have tried my best to put my thought in words. If it still doesnot make sense, I dont mind to explain it once again. :)
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:19 am
Question asked in Option B gives us the alternate reason for the lower cholesterol levels after six months .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Followed by:1 members

by voodoo_child » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:27 am
Testluv wrote:
voodoo_child wrote:

I am still not sure about the problem with C. I think if you consider old people, medicines are the way to go. You cannot expect them to exercise. Reasoning - after a certain age, the doctor recommends against cardio.

I am still not convinced why b) is an option. Can anyone please help me ?

Voodoo

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:164 members
GMAT Score:800

by Testluv » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:33 am
Hi,

whether other things (like medication) can also improve cholesterol levels in general is outside the scope of the passage. For (c) to be correct it would have to read like this:

Were the two groups taking different medication?
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto

by gauravgundal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:34 pm
Reason why answer choice c is out of scope :
Conclusion of this argument is that eating whole grains can have an appreciable effect on cholesterol levels.

Suppose we say that same drop in cholesterol can be achieved through medication,but this won't weaken or strengthen author's conclusion that eating whole grain too can have an an appreciable effect on cholesterol levels.

With answer c it can be said that yes both medication and eating whole grain can reduce cholesterol levels.