Med student applying to MBA - really need advice

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I'm currently a first year medical student at a well ranked medical school in the US (a non-ivy private school). My undergraduate was at UC San Diego, and I graduated with a 3.45 GPA and a Biology major + English minor.

My work experience: 2 years as a part time swim instructor in college (not very relevant I don't think) + 1 year managing a small drug addiction clinic (6 beds) that just opened, so I helped streamline operations and get it on its feet from a middle-manager type position (more relevant). After that, I went to medical school so my work experience is quite light.

Volunteer experience.
1.5 yrs being a program developer at a large hospital internship of about 400-500 people (trained people, worked with hospital leadership to make program better. etc). I was deeply involved in this and had a good impact on the program.
1 yr peer health educator. I taught college students about GMAT and health and held outreaches and workshops.

Now, I won't be applying to B-school until my 3rd year of med school (I will be taking a break between years 3 and 4 to do B-school). That gives me time to think about how to craft myself as an applicant.

What I have going for me right at this moment:
  • President of the student council - got some great things going, successful fundraisers, upcoming initiatives, etc.
  • Currently part of a special program where we work with PhD engineering students and learn to find a medical need, prototype a solution, pitch to investors, and bring it to market. I'm expecting that by the end of 3 years, we should have something substantial to show for it (at the very least a patent if not commercialization). This is going well so far.
What I'm planning to do in the near future:
  • I'm currently identifying a community project to work on - my primary interest is using digital technology to improve chronic disease management. My school is in an area with a high prevalence of diabetes. Hopefully this will take off soon. This project will ideally last 1-2 years at least.
  • I should have time this summer to get an internship somewhere if necessary.
  • I'm planning on applying to sit on my medical school's candidate selection commitee.
I will be taking the GMAT this summer (will aim for mid 700s, and I believe I'm capable of it especially after the MCAT), and I will apply in 3 years time so that's how much time I have to build my profile. My case for "Why an MBA": in the context of a changing healthcare landscape, there will have to be doctors that know how to lead hospitals and healthcare organizations towards the new paradigm of value and wellness coupled with lower cost. Ideally, we'll do this by using innovative business models and relying more on technology as a force multiplier. I'd like to be in that space.

My top 2 picks would be Harvard and Stanford, since both have strong ties to biotech (my program I listed above is modeled on a combination of Harvard's HST and Stanfords Biodesign programs). Its clear that my work experience will likely be a problem, but I'm wondering if schools would look at me differently considering I'm an MD student, since those schools accept their own MD students into MD/MBA programs. What other facets of my profile should I improve? What should I add? Am I spinning my story well considering my extracurriculars? What other experiences should I seek out?

I appreciate the help, thank you.[/list]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by Sophia007 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:13 am
It would be simpler/efficient if we could just talk about your situation. Please directly email me if you'd like to talk about your case. I'd be happy to help as I've helped some candidates in the past with similar situation.
Sophia Pathak| Admissions Consultant |

If my post was helpful, let me know by pushing the thanks button.:) Please free to directly email me at [email protected]. ANY questions are welcome! check out what others have to say about their experience with me https://mymbamentor.com/?page_id=31

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by yigaloran » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:39 am
You seem to be a very busy person (I don't know if you're male or female) who is thinking way in to the future. This is good. I wouldn't worry about your work experience and your volunteer activities are always important, volunteer being the key word. This comment may not be as encouraging or specific as you would like but I think you are on the right track with all your projects so just keep on doing them (with an eye to administration). I doubt if you will have time for many additional things during med school. Getting your GMAT out of the way now makes sense, hopefully you will do well and then you can forget about it. Otherwise, your academic background is good. I was wondering why you want to take a break to do an MBA after 3rd year and not wait until you have finished med school? Is this common with this kind of program?
Basically, my advice would be to research the whole MD/MBA thing from the ground. Speak to people who have done it, speak to the Admissions people for this particular program. This is what will give you a good idea of what you can do to improve your chances for Harvard or Stanford. Keep your goal in sight and you will succeed.

by bkn89 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:53 pm
Hi Yigaloran, thank you for the feedback. The reason I want to take a break is because of the way medical residency in the US works. It is common to take a break between year 3 and year 4 to do research or a 2nd degree before coming back to complete the MD. During the 4th year, you apply to residencies and start work right after you earn the MD.

If you take the break after year 4 however, you will not be applying during the traditional time, and residencies will question your ability to integrate back into clinical medicine after being out for so long. They are more forgiving if they see that you had at least 1 year back at school (as a refresher period) before applying to their program.

Followed by:1 members

by stevenfuqua » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:57 pm
The top business schools care about your leadership potential. You can show this in many ways. Your extracurricular work is good in that regard.

Another thing business school look for is clear goals and proof that you know what you're getting into. If you're interested in hospital administration, then you should prove that you want to be in that space some how. For example, by doing an administrative internship in a hospital, or something like that. Med school is very time consuming but see if you can work something out.

You really need to show you are committed, especially as you are a non traditional applicant with non related full time work experience that is significantly below the median.

In addition to admissions folks, I'd track down MD/MBAs in the programs you're interested in. You can find them usually in leadership roles in health care clubs or ask folks for the right people to contact.

Other schools to consider, in addition to HBS and GSB:

Wharton (HCM)
Fuqua (HSM)
Kellogg (HEMA)
Haas (Healthcare area of emphasis)

I have a post that discusses these programs in my blog here.