Meaning Clarity Issue Between A & C

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

Meaning Clarity Issue Between A & C

by theCodeToGMAT » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:07 pm
According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted.
a) the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted
b) famous because of "The Godfather," the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted
c) the ailing mobster, famous because of "The Godfather," came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted
d) near to those he most trusted, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of "The Godfather"
e) Corleone, famous because of "The Godfather," was the town that the ailing mobster came to take refuge in because it was near to those he most trusted

OA A
Not sure of the source
According to me, A & C are grammatically correct; Talking about meaning, both A & C gives different meaning, then why is it that C is wrong.....Is there any rule which states that the meaning presented in Original Sentence is given preference??
Last edited by theCodeToGMAT on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by georgeanand » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:13 pm
A should repeat the original.It does not. Copy the correct question.

Idea presented in the original sentence is taken into consideration.
Have fun cracking GMAT
https://letsgmat.blocked
www.semanticslearning.com
GMAT classes at chennai,India

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:55 pm
George, the sentence is correctly copied; the option A clearly repeats the Original Question. Its just that I forgot to Underline the part of consideration.
However, I do remember that I read somewhere that there is no such rule that says Original meaning has to be maintained. But, then, considering this question creates confusion.

georgeanand wrote:A should repeat the original.It does not. Copy the correct question.

Idea presented in the original sentence is taken into consideration.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:47 pm
theCodeToGMAT wrote:According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted.
a) the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted
b) famous because of "The Godfather," the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted
c) the ailing mobster, famous because of "The Godfather," came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted
d) near to those he most trusted, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of "The Godfather"
e) Corleone, famous because of "The Godfather," was the town that the ailing mobster came to take refuge in because it was near to those he most trusted

OA A
Not sure of the source
According to me, A & C are grammatically correct; Talking about meaning, both A & C gives different meaning, then why is it that C is wrong.....Is there any rule which states that the meaning presented in Original Sentence is given preference??

As far as I know, meaning of the original sentence should not be tampered with. If we do so, many possibilities of the correct answer might arise. Meaning is one important aspect to be careful about in SC. C changes the meaning as you have rightly said.

The town is famous because of the GODFATHER" and not the ailing mobster according to the intent of the author(This is more important, if we have to score well on the GMAT)

We might find the correct option to be wordy, or awkward but this where meaning supersedes.

Hope I am of help!
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:30 pm
Hi All,

This real GMAT won't include SCs with this type of "interpretational" problem. While I understand the "intent" of this SC (the TOWN is famous because of "The Godfather" as opposed to the MOBSTER is famous because of "The Godfather"), a Test Taker would need to know what The Godfather is/was. Without THAT knowledge, a Test Taker could justify either answer as correct.

GMAT questions are heavily tested and vetted before they're deemed "fair" and scored as an actual question on a GMAT test. This question, in the unlikely event that it appeared at all, would be in the testing phase only (and would be removed).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]