McCombs vs. Kenan Flagler (Advice Wanted!)

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

I am very excited as I have been accepted by Kenan-Flagler and McCombs. I plan on attending both Admit Preview Weekends, but wanted to get some advice from folks on here as they usually have great feedback. Both schools are really good schools and they each have there own things. I know McCombs just moved up in the rankings,which is a plus. I really want a program with great leadership opportunities, and that has good career services. I am currently in Program Management for a a consumer goods company, and am looking to switch either into a) general management(leadership development program would be my primary goal), b) management consulting or c) brand management. I would like to stay in consumer goods, but wouldn't mind switching into the high-tech sector. I know both schools tend to place regionally, but I am not sure how hard it would be to make it back to the east coast if I picked McCombs. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Last edited by rfshocker2255 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by htbconsultants » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:11 am
rfshocker2255 wrote:Hello,

I am very excited as I have been excepted by Kenan-Flagler and McCombs. I plan on attending both Admit Preview Weekends, but wanted to get some advice from folks on here as they usually have great feedback. Both schools are really good schools and they each have there own things. I know McCombs just moved up in the rankings,which is a plus. I really want a program with great leadership opportunities, and that has good career services. I am currently in Program Management for a a consumer goods company, and am looking to switch either into a) general management(leadership development program would be my primary goal), b) management consulting or c) brand management. I would like to stay in consumer goods, but wouldn't mind switching into the high-tech sector. I know both schools tend to place regionally, but I am not sure how hard it would be to make it back to the east coast if I picked McCombs. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
1. I wouldn't take temporary increase in rankings as an indicator to choose a school.
2. Both are good regional schools. It always helps if you are located closer to your potential employers.
3. McCombs can give you some good opportunities in Oil & Gas and Hitech. That obviously doesn't seem the case.