MBA

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA

by kelvinscale » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:21 am
As we all know US economy is in recession, some of my friends from India find it difficult to cling on to a job now in US . My questions is,

Is there any realistic timeframe until when this US recession would continue?

Is it the right time to do an MBA in US...

Regards
Kelvin

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by uprightcitizen » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 am
I believe the people who are capable of answering that first question are too busy ruling the world to answer a forum question.

However, the second one is easier. It depends on what your career goals are. If an MBA benefits you, go for it.

Followed by:1 members

by sorter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:05 am
Pretty sure that even those "ruling the world" have no clue about how long the recession will last... or how to fix it. Both politicians and economists have very different views on what to do - some of them want more stimulus, others want the economy left alone, and everything in between. I think we're through the worst of it, and this would be an ideal time to apply. If you attend in 2011 and graduate in 2013, things will probably be better in the economy (and definitely better for you with degree in hand).

by kelvinscale » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:03 pm
Thx guys for the responses.....I want to do my MBA from US in fall 2011 but not sure considering the scenario currently and also the job scene is pretty bad is what I heard......

I'm looking to make a career in luxury marketing.....

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:630

by odannyboi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:23 pm
I dunno.. for me, the recession doesn't exist. I got a new job a few months ago and since then, have had about 12 recruiter calls (including 2 from Cali.. I'm in illinois) plus another offer to work for my former boss with another company. On top of that, I interviewed at 7 places before accepting my current job and turned down a couple offers.

by kelvinscale » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:39 pm
thx odannyboi..... but what nationality are you ? coz i heard jobs are available but only for US citizens not for internationals...

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660

by ayankm » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:21 pm
I just read an article in Businessweek today and it says that most of the b schools are having to raise the percent of intakes. Previously a school which used to take only 25% of the total applicants, is now taking 33-35% (roughly). Which leads me to think that not only we have been affected by the economy, but the effect is coming on to the schools as well in the form of lesser applications. I know a school which used to charge around 150 euros for an application, has now waived the charges. Times, they are changin'.