MBA Resume

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710!

MBA Resume

by phumbert » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:50 pm
Hi All,

I am applying to a few top 20/top 10 programs, and looking for some advice on my Resume format for submission during the application process. I have a couple of brief questions:

1) I cannot seem to determine whether or not an "Objective" line is appropriate or not. If not, is there something that should go in its stead? Or do you just jump into Experience?

2) I am not a career switcher, but looking to remain in my current industry (healthcare) and broaden my focus, exposure, and knowledge. I have heard conflicting opinions as to whether a Functional or Chronological resume would be best. I have always had a Chronological, but want to make sure I do what is most appropriate for this situation.

Thanks in advance for any insights you provide!

-p

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

MBA Resume

by Graham » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:45 pm
Dear phumbert,

Thanks for your post!

Resume layout/content strategy is a subject of much debate, but in the realm of MBA admissions there are some fairly basic standards:

1) Objective Section. You do not need this section (or a 'summary' section) on your resume for business school. There are several reasons for this, the most basic of which is that b-schools know that your objective is to join their program, and they ask essay questions to learn more about why you want an MBA and where your career is heading, etc. Further, since top MBA programs prefer a 1-paged resume, taking up valuable space with an 'objective' section isn't a great strategy.

2) Chronological vs. Functional. While either of these two styles can be entirely appropriate out in the professional world, you really should deliver a chronological resume to the MBA admissions readers. The resume is designed to be a quick snap shot of your background, and the issue with a 'fucntional' organization is that it may make it harder for the reader (or interviewer) to promptly grasp your timeline.

We've posted a number of resume-related tips in the Clear Admit blog over the years, so you may want to take a peek at some of them while you prepare your resume.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

Re: MBA Resume

by Linda Abraham » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:58 pm
phumbert wrote:Hi All,

I am applying to a few top 20/top 10 programs, and looking for some advice on my Resume format for submission during the application process. I have a couple of brief questions:

1) I cannot seem to determine whether or not an "Objective" line is appropriate or not. If not, is there something that should go in its stead? Or do you just jump into Experience?

2) I am not a career switcher, but looking to remain in my current industry (healthcare) and broaden my focus, exposure, and knowledge. I have heard conflicting opinions as to whether a Functional or Chronological resume would be best. I have always had a Chronological, but want to make sure I do what is most appropriate for this situation.

Thanks in advance for any insights you provide!

-p
1) You don't need an Objective. It's a waste. You should lead with the most impressive aspect of your background. For almost all MBA applicants, that's their experience. For some early career applicants, especially the academic super-stars, it might be Education.

2) Chronological.

Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710!

by phumbert » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:41 pm
Thank you both! Your expert insight is much appreciated!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sam7877 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:48 am
MBA resumes are really no different in structure or layout than any other. Define your career objectives first before discussing your current profile. List your educational qualifications chronologically, with your course title, the school name, and the time frame. Briefly describe what you did in school and the achievements you accomplished. Since you have taken masters degree, add your thesis title to the details of your achievements and works. The job history is presented next. Job history also arranged chronologically with the job title, organization name, and time period. This arrangement is necessary in order to show your development and capability.
https://www.examplesof.com/resume/