MBA Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA Profile Evaluation

by doudou » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:39 pm
GPA: B.S. from Penn State with a GPA of 3.72, majoring in Finance and minor in MIS graduted 2003.

GMAT: I took my GMAT yesterday with a disappointing score of 630 (Q42, V34, AWA ? )

Resume Highlight:
I’ve only worked for PPG Industries since I’ve graduated:
Credit Representative for Quality
July 2003 – March 2004 (9 months)
Credit Representative for Refinish
April 2004 – May 2005 (1 year 2 months)
Senior Cost Analyst
June 2005 – July 2007 (2 years 2 months)
Financial Analyst
August 2007 – Present ( 7 months)

Not really much extracurricular involvements apart from a few business societies I’ve joined while in college, but not really active. Didn’t think I had to worry about after graduation. College experiences would probably not be considered?

Interesting facts about myself: I am originally from China. I lived in England for four years going to middle school and high school and finished high school and College in the US. While working as a cost analyst, the plant I worked at went through a strike, experienced the American Unions first hand.

Since PPG has an education assistant program, I am applying for the part-time MBA in Pittsburgh. I have basically two options, CMU or PITT. I was shooting for CMU, but my GMAT score is much lower than expected, I am not sure if I have a really chance of being admitted.

Any advise is appreicated.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:26 pm
Hi doudou,

I don't think CMU is unreasonable for you, especially for the part time program. It's certainly worth applying. I also would suggest trying the GMAT at least one more time, most candidates are able to increase their initial score at least a little. You are in a reasonable range and your GPA is strong, so increasing the score even slightly may be worth it.

It's definitely useful to have extracurricular involvement. College experiences are certainly considered, but a solid record of community involvement is ideal. If you absolutely do not have any since college (even volunteering with work?) I think it's worth picking up an activity as soon as you can. Other than that, I would concentrate on your essays given that the verbal score was your weak spot on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

by doudou » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:35 am
Hi Amy,

Thanks for your advice. I believe I will take a Kaplan class before taking the GMAT again. Hopefully get my score into the 700s.

I will probably have to pick up some extracurricular involvement. I’ve only had some volunteering experience at work. For example I’ve been involved in recruiting for my company’s finance function and I’ve been a United Way Ambassador for two years. What other kinds of extracurricular involvement might be helpful?

Verbal is definitely my weak spot. Can you recommend any resource or tips for writing the application essay?

Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:13 am
Hi doudou,

My generally suggestion for writing essays is to make sure that your writing is clear, concise and reflects who you are. If you do not use a consultant, you should definitely use your friends and family extensively as a resource to read and comment on your essays.

I don't personally use books for essay resources, but I believe that many applicants have found them helpful. This thread may help you find something that will work for you: https://www.beatthegmat.com/sample-essay ... t7354.html

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

by doudou » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:57 pm
Amy,

Thanks for your advise, especially about retaking the GMAT. I took it again this morning and received a much improved score of 700 (Q44, V41). It was definitely worth the money I paid for the Kaplan class. Now I just have to concentrate on my resume and essays.

Thanks
doudou