MBA Profile Assessment

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA Profile Assessment

by ajun519 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 pm
Hey Alex,

I've been following your responses to fellow MBA prospects and I was very impressed with your assessments. I thought I'd reach out to see if you could give me a personal review. I am just starting my research and embarking on my MBA journey and I am targeting 2014 Fall admissions. Any insight will help!

Race: Korean-American

Additional Languages: Korean (full comprehension | limited read/write)

Undergrad: California State University

Major: BS Advertising

Minors: Graphic Design and Business Administration

GPA: 3.34

GMAT: Signed up for the Spring course at Manhattan GMAT (SF).

Practice tests: 600

Work Exp:

Internships Undergrad
Top Financial-Investment Firm: Marketing Intern
Local Advertising Agency: Marketing Intern
SF Advertising Agency: Lead Creative Intern
Local Ad agency full-time hire after graduation: Marketing Coordinator (10 months)
Top Video Game Company: Marketing Coordinator (1 year)
Top Video Game Company: Product Marketing Manager (Current)
This was a two-tier promotion within one year of working at the company.
One of the youngest Product Marketing Managers at the company.

Extracurricular:

Social Fraternity
Executive board for 3 years
Very involved in philanthropy (Boys and Girls Club, Sean Kimerling's Testicular Cancer Foundation, Red Cross)
Order of Omega Honor Society
Advertising/Marketing Club
Active part in company philanthropies
Youth Leader within the Catholic Community

Target Schools: USC Marshall, UW Foster, CMU Tepper

Goals: I want to obtain my MBA so I can build upon my career and compete with the flooded and cut-throat job market in my field. I want to make a positive impact and I feel an MBA can give me the foundation to succeed and reach my goals. I eventually want to take my skills and start my own business with roots in technology and charity.

I understand my situation and I feel have been setting my goals appropriately (if not, I welcome a reality check!). I have not thought about applying to a top 25 program as I don't think I have what it takes. My strengths are not in my undergrad and GPA, but there were personal experiences that can help shed some light. I feel my background reflects how I thrive in professional settings and I am holding on to that as my strength for admission.

What would my GMAT score need to be to get a chance at admissions to my target schools?

Would love to see a break down of schools that you think would be a good fit for me.
Stretch:
Sweet spots:
Safeties:

Thanks so much for taking the time to review my profile. I look forward to hearing from you!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Yashveer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 pm
Hi,

You should be realistic while selection of b-schools. I would suggest you to target schools with GMAT range between 590-700 like: Purdue-Krannert, Babson-Olin, Michigan-Broad, Thunderbird, Mason, Smeal, Urbana-Champaign, Boston-Carroll, Rice-Jones, etc. There are many, but these are few good schools in US. CMU-Tepper would be slightly ambitious. You can try your chances in b-schools by https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

You can make your application stronger by submitting good essays and demonstrating leadership traits, professional achievements and other aptitudes during final interviews.

Feel free to post any other concerns you might have.

Best,
Yash

ajun519 wrote:Hey Alex,

I've been following your responses to fellow MBA prospects and I was very impressed with your assessments. I thought I'd reach out to see if you could give me a personal review. I am just starting my research and embarking on my MBA journey and I am targeting 2014 Fall admissions. Any insight will help!

Race: Korean-American

Additional Languages: Korean (full comprehension | limited read/write)

Undergrad: California State University

Major: BS Advertising

Minors: Graphic Design and Business Administration

GPA: 3.34

GMAT: Signed up for the Spring course at Manhattan GMAT (SF).

Practice tests: 600

Work Exp:

Internships Undergrad
Top Financial-Investment Firm: Marketing Intern
Local Advertising Agency: Marketing Intern
SF Advertising Agency: Lead Creative Intern
Local Ad agency full-time hire after graduation: Marketing Coordinator (10 months)
Top Video Game Company: Marketing Coordinator (1 year)
Top Video Game Company: Product Marketing Manager (Current)
This was a two-tier promotion within one year of working at the company.
One of the youngest Product Marketing Managers at the company.

Extracurricular:

Social Fraternity
Executive board for 3 years
Very involved in philanthropy (Boys and Girls Club, Sean Kimerling's Testicular Cancer Foundation, Red Cross)
Order of Omega Honor Society
Advertising/Marketing Club
Active part in company philanthropies
Youth Leader within the Catholic Community

Target Schools: USC Marshall, UW Foster, CMU Tepper

Goals: I want to obtain my MBA so I can build upon my career and compete with the flooded and cut-throat job market in my field. I want to make a positive impact and I feel an MBA can give me the foundation to succeed and reach my goals. I eventually want to take my skills and start my own business with roots in technology and charity.

I understand my situation and I feel have been setting my goals appropriately (if not, I welcome a reality check!). I have not thought about applying to a top 25 program as I don't think I have what it takes. My strengths are not in my undergrad and GPA, but there were personal experiences that can help shed some light. I feel my background reflects how I thrive in professional settings and I am holding on to that as my strength for admission.

What would my GMAT score need to be to get a chance at admissions to my target schools?

Would love to see a break down of schools that you think would be a good fit for me.
Stretch:
Sweet spots:
Safeties:

Thanks so much for taking the time to review my profile. I look forward to hearing from you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:19 am
Hey there buddy,
Soo I saw your profile. Right now I would pretty much hold off on evaluating it for schools until you get your GMAT score, which will hopefully be higher than a 600! And if its not, you have the time to take it once even twice more before R1. The schools you listed have very different average GMAT scores, and for Tepper, a 690 or above would be sweet, though you could also apply with less, depending on a number of things.

Now, since you are into advertising, the most logical places are costal schools (esp. Ny and Cali) and schools with good Marketing programs as that fits into your goals and needs. So, I dont know how you came up with your list of these three schools, but I would look into a few more before I made my final decision.

Good luck on that GMAT!!!!
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.