MBA or MiM??

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA or MiM??

by gauravhesoyam » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:59 pm
Hi

I'm a college senior from India. I was all set to apply for MiM courses this fall but my father kind of convinced me to work for 2-3 years and then apply for MBA. I wanted to ask you guys what exactly is the difference b/w MiM and MBA? And if i take up MiM, am i limiting my growth for the future? I was considering MiM because it has course content similar to MBA and the duration is about 10-12 months. I badly need some expert advice on this.

ThankYou

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MSFHQ » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:02 pm
Your dad is a smart guy. The issue is this in my opinion. The type of work you do, company you work for and career progression impacts MBA applications. So if your UG and networking cannot get you a job and career path that will set you up for a strong MBA application then you should look at the MiM as an option to rebrand and possibly open up jobs and careers that would be more lucrative or at least give you a better shot at a top MBA (if that is your goal).

So if you have a great job lined up, don't do a MiM. But if you have nothing and want another shot, then you might want to look at it.

As for differences, I think the primary one is the level of work experience. The MiM isn't as wide spread or well known as the MBA also. I'd say the goal of the programs are very different. Once is for career changers or those looking to rebrand and add to their network. The MiM is more for students seeking out core business knowledge and a another chance at recruiting and getting a job.

Personally, I love seeing all of these specialized programs as it fills a much needed space. Years ago I think too many people went into MBA programs that they weren't truly qualified for or didn't have the experience to fully utilize it. Now these specialized masters allow students to study further without ruining their MBA chances.

Followed by:1 members

by batrichie93 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:43 am
Amity MBA has more chances than MIM, it will built your career one you achieve the degree.
it has more of chances of getting job at higher level if you peruse degree with a well known university.

by raajan singh » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:39 am
The key points of difference between MIM and MBA are here below:
1. Age
2. Professional experience
3. Tuition fees
4. Curriculum and content
5. Admissions criteria

With Regards,
Raajan Singh
Student- Vanguard Business School

Followed by:1 members

by batrichie93 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:50 pm
i truly agree with the key points.
always keep in mind, the program that interests you will give you more interest of learning in that particular program.
Amity MBA