MBA Dreamz of a small town boy... ad astra per aspera.. ;)

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700
Hi Liza/Stacy/All...

The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dreams never die.
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

A special thanks to all of you, who are taking time to read this and are willing to guide me, as I begin my words. I was reading through many of the recent posts here on this forum and I felt that you people have done a marvelous job in guiding people... And you are really as good at heart as you look in your pictures...

I hail from a small village Rankhandi in India, where we still have electricity only for 3 hours so that the fields can be irrigated, where we used to go to school by walk for kilometers, from a family where my granny used to stitch clothes for us from our old torn bed sheets. I wore same pair shoes in school for years, only the soles were changed when they wore out. Sometimes in school, I felt I should not grow in height and size coz I would need new clothes. Now things have changed a lot. My parents are my idols; they both have worked full time all these years in blood & sweat, and gave me the platform to reach the highest frontiers in life. Now I'm working with Oracle and I can even afford to go out and eat in Restaurants. Now I have got to know what an AC is, though I don't know how to operate it yet. Maybe in few years I'll be able to afford a car and drive like they do in Fast & Furious...

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I guess you can understand that I have no relative in US and my family can not afford my MBA. I am happily willing to take up a loan though. In India when a farmer takes a loan and can not repay it, he chooses an easier option, to give up his life. That's why elders in my family are scared of me taking big loan, as they have seen such events. But then I smile and think that who will give me a loan of 100 thousand dollars in very first place(I havent seen a dollar bill in my life,except on internet). We have no property and small fields we have are already divided equally among my dad's 8 siblings. I always wanted to score 750 in GMAT so that I can get a big scholarship and do an MBA. Finally, my GMAT exam was rescheduled 3 times due to technical errors at Bangalore testing centre (for my ID only), had heavy office work and I had a nice accident just a few days before the exam. I am an average learner, not the type of person who studies for 2 months and scores 780. I studied for almost a year after 12 hours in office everyday but even then, I just got 700.

I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen.

I always wanted to go to the US, the land of dreams, do an MBA and feel "The Bestest Life" before I leave this world. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in mouth, but will die with a golden one on my plate. I'll someday take a vacation and go around world backpacking, discovering the creations of both God and man.

The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

My basic profile - 25/Male/Indian/B.Tech in Computer Science with average marks in India/ all 37 months of work ex. by the time I join MBA next year in Oracle Financial Services, India/No abroad trips yet/Small town guy with a lower middle class farming family/GMAT 700(v39/q47)/ All school marks and extra activities were average.

I guess I've bored you enough; I'm still doubtful whether dreams come true. Whether Life is fair. What levels of dreams a person should nurture.

You're not obligated to win. You're obligated to keep trying to do the best you can every day.

I surfed and literally slept on net for past few weeks. I'm choosing which colleges to apply based on Reputation, Salary, Location, Scholarship and Dreams. I have my final list of 20 colleges. I plan to apply for 10 of them. Can you suggest as per my profile which will be the best suited and which will be the worst. Which will be broadly my ambitious/reach/safe? Deadlines are very near and I need some expert advice. Any kind of suggestion about everything is welcome. I can not afford any consultants; nobody is there to guide me. It's just me and my fight and I know that good people will always help me in the way. I request all consultants here to give their feedback.
I'm planning to do MBA in Media/Entertainment management or General Management/International Business/Operations. Looking forward to your reply. And I would treasure your reply and appreciate it in advance. Any detailed replies will be tenfold appreciated. Here's my list of colleges-

- Emory University, Goizueta Business School - Atlanta, Georgia
-UCLA Anderson School of Management University of California, Los Angeles
- Simon School of Business, University of Rochester - Rochester, New York
- Vanderbilt University, Owen Graduate School of Management - Nashville, Tennessee
- Kelley School of Business, Indiana University - Bloomington, Indiana
- Krannert School of Management, Purdue University - West Lafayette, Indiana
- Fisher College of Business, Ohio State University - Columbus, Ohio
- Mays Business School Texas A&M University College Station - College Station, Texas
- University of Wisconsin School of Business, Madison, Wisconsin
- Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Management, Rice University - Houston, Texas
- Robert H. Smith School of Business University of Maryland - College Park, Maryland
-UIUC College of Business, University of Illinois - Champaign, Illinois
- Eli Broad College of Business Michigan State University - East Lansing, Michigan
- Moore School of Business University of South Carolina - Columbia, South Carolina
- Mason School of Business, The College of William & Mary - Williamsburg, Virginia
- Warrington College of Business, University of Florida - Gainesville, Florida
- Carroll School of Management, Boston College - Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
-University of Toronto Joseph L. Rotman School of Management - Toronto , Canada
- Thunderbird School of Global Management - Glendale, Arizona
- University of Miami School of Business Administration - Coral Gables, Florida

The dream was always running ahead of me. To catch up, to live for a moment in unison with it, that was the miracle.

-Best Regards,
DJ
-----------------------------------------------------
Over the same seas, on the same winds;
A Ship sails in one direction, another in opposite....
It is not the wind that decides which direction the ship goes;
Its the sails; how they are tied and how they are maneuvered....

Similarly it is not your fate that decides where your life is going;
It is all about how you take your life and where you take it to....

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by DigvijaySingh » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:41 pm
Hi, just an update on my previous post, i striked out Miami on reputation.. And Kelley, Krannert, Mays & Maryland on base of location... So, I'm left with my list of 15 of which I'll apply to 10.. Pls help me strike out 5 more from the list... The updated list is---

- Emory University, Goizueta Business School - Atlanta, Georgia
-UCLA Anderson School of Management University of California, Los Angeles (Media& Entertainment mgmt. mba)
- Simon School of Business, University of Rochester - Rochester, New York
- Vanderbilt University, Owen Graduate School of Management - Nashville, Tennessee
- Fisher College of Business, Ohio State University - Columbus, Ohio
- University of Wisconsin School of Business, Madison, Wisconsin
- Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Management, Rice University - Houston, Texas
-UIUC College of Business, University of Illinois - Champaign, Illinois
- Eli Broad College of Business Michigan State University - East Lansing, Michigan
- Moore School of Business University of South Carolina - Columbia, South Carolina
- Warrington College of Business, University of Florida - Gainesville, Florida
- Carroll School of Management, Boston College - Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
-University of Toronto Joseph L. Rotman School of Management �" Toronto , Canada
- Mason School of Business, The College of William & Mary - Williamsburg, Virginia (safe)
- Thunderbird School of Global Management - Glendale, Arizona (safe)
-----------------------------------------------------
Over the same seas, on the same winds;
A Ship sails in one direction, another in opposite....
It is not the wind that decides which direction the ship goes;
Its the sails; how they are tied and how they are maneuvered....

Similarly it is not your fate that decides where your life is going;
It is all about how you take your life and where you take it to....

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:20 am
Dear Digvijaysingh,

I agree that you need to have a mix of reach, reasonable and safety programs. However, you are the only one who can decide on what programs make the most sense for you. You need to prioritize what you want in an MBA program and then evaluate these programs against your list. You have some great programs, but they are quite different from each other on many dimensions. You want schools that make the most sense for your career goals--in terms of curriculum, industry connections, location, and other resources. You also want a school whose culture makes sense for you--where will you be most comfortable? small class size v. larger class size? collegial v. competitive? amount of teamwork?

Finally, you might read our sticky on school selection for additional tips and insights.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me