may one day

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

may one day

by budetta4 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:32 pm
Combining atoms at room temperature may be possible one day, but sucha feat has never been verifiably performed

A
B one day, it may be possible to combine atoms at the tempature of a room
C the combination of atoms at room temperature may be possible one day
D it may one day be possible to combine atoms at a room tempature
E Combining atoms at room temperature may one day be possible

OA D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:34 pm
Are you typing these out as they are written in the book? As it stands now the sentence looks like

Combining atoms at room temperature may be possible one day, but sucha feat has never been verifiably performed

if that is indeed how the sentence is written, then D can't be correct.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by budetta4 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:46 pm
In fact I chose A
but this question is in the catprep exam why in your opinion d is wrong?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by bhumika.k.shah » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:50 pm
Q ) What is this such a feat referring to ? What is such a modifying to?
Ans ) Combining atoms at a room temperature.

Hence they both should be placed next to each other.

This eliminates C and E .

A seems wordier to me.

Try fitting B back to the question. It will sound awkward.

Only D fits in well.

Hence i'd go with D

Though i would like to know the grammatical reasoning behind this .

Besides what the source ? Its framed in a very weird way , isnt it ?
budetta4 wrote:Combining atoms at room temperature may be possible one day, but sucha feat has never been verifiably performed

A
B one day, it may be possible to combine atoms at the tempature of a room
C the combination of atoms at room temperature may be possible one day
D it may one day be possible to combine atoms at a room tempature
E Combining atoms at room temperature may one day be possible

OA D

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by AaronPond » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:51 pm
To truly understand this problem, we need to understand the "-ing" ending for verbals. First, it is worth noting that a verbal is NOT a verb - so it doesn't have to follow verb conjugation rules. Verbals are words that at first glance might look like verbs but function as nouns or modifiers. Verbals with "-ing" suffixes are actually not "continuous present tense verbs" at all; instead, they are either gerunds (in other words, nouns... for example, "Running is something I like to do) or present participles (in other words, adjectives... for example, "running water".) Verbals are not a "weaker" verb form at all, but a different construction altogether. However, the fact that verbals ending in "-ing" can, depending on context, be either a noun or an adjective is the key to unlocking this problem.

Both answer choices A and E contain the profoundly ambiguous phrase "combining atoms." Notice how this phrase could mean either "atoms which combine" (using the present participle form) or "the act of combining atoms" (using the gerund form.) With the first option, atoms is the subject of the sentence, while the second option the gerund "combining" is the subject. This drastically changes the meaning, therefore eliminating both A and E as possible candidates.

Answer choice B can be eliminated because of the phrase "at the temperature of a room." This implies a specific room, whereas "room temperature" is the idiomatic way of saying "around the temperature humans normally like." The meaning totally changes. This is an Illogical error.

Answer choice C also contains an Illogical error. The meaning of the phrase "The combination of atoms at room temperature may one day be possible" implies that atom combinations are not possible at room temperature, and if this were true, life as we know it would be impossible. Molecules are a pretty big part of, well, everything.

The only answer remaining is answer choice D. Now, D contains what I call "convoluted camouflage" - unusual or obnoxious phrasing without containing grammar or logical problems. Many people see the pronoun "It" and get upset because this seems like an ambiguous pronoun with no clear antecedent. However, the phrase "it may be possible to..." is a common English idiom. This is a false alarm intended to trap people, when in fact such a construction is perfectly legal.
Aaron J. Pond
Veritas Prep Elite Instructor

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Risfy1994 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:59 am
Hello! Actually I have no idea about the right variant with the answer to your question, but I would like to get it as well!