mathematicians

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

mathematicians

by gmatrix » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:08 am
A LSAT CR:OA:later
Attachments
mathematicians lsat cr.JPG
Life is all about ass; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:13 am
i will go wid C
A SMALL TOWN GUY

by missionGMAT007 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:48 am
I will go with A

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by wilson4mba » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:40 am
This is a must be true type question and we need to find the answer in the statements itself. The statements says only about Mathematicians so we can do away with answers saying individuals. Answer (A) clearly states what has been said in the First sentence of the passage.
Hence the answer is A.

Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:760

by rkanthilal » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:14 am
IMO A

The question stem is asking for a conclusion that follows from the following facts.

1) No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation.
2) In the past some mathematicians rejected the results of a complex computer demonstration of a very simple mapping theorem
3) Some mathematicians still believe a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof.
4) Some simple theorem have required enormous proofs.

If 3) Some mathematicians still believe a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof and 1) No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation, then it would follow that some of those mathematicians who believe a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof would consider accepting the results of an enormous computation. Answer (A) states this.

Originally, I was wary of choosing this answer. Because the premise states that "no mathematician today..." I expected the answer to state "all mathematicians...would consider accepting" rather than "some mathematicians...would consider accepting".

After reading the premises a little closer I believe (A) is correct. The premise states that "no mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation". I take it that this means that no mathematician would reject a result solely because it was derived from an enormous computation. However, they may reject the result for other reasons. This distinction allows for some of them to consider accepting a result and while some of them do not consider accepting the result.

B, C, D, and E discuss, in one way or another, what non-mathematicians believe. The fact set provided does not discuss the beliefs of non-mathematicians.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by novel » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:32 pm
Could some one please explain the difference between A & C.I am confused and think C is the answer.

Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:760

by rkanthilal » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:17 pm
novel wrote:Could some one please explain the difference between A & C.I am confused and think C is the answer.
Here is why I did not choose C.

Answer C: "Today, some individuals who refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation as a demonstration of the truth of a theorem believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof."

The passage states that, "No mathematician today would flatly refuse to accept the results of an enormous computation as a demonstration of the truth of a theorem." Answer C refers to "some individuals who refuse to accept the results...". Therefore, we know that these individuals are not mathematicians. We can then restate answer C as, "Today, some non-mathematicians believe that a simple theorem ought to have a simple proof."

The passage does not give any information on non-mathematicians. Therefore, we cannot come to any conclusions regarding those individuals.

Hope this helps...

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:30 am
gmatrix wrote:A LSAT CR:OA:later
this CR is tough! is A the answer?