Master Gmat - All-included tour package brochure

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
All-included tour package brochure: Tourists joining us on our "all-included" package to the Caribbean are making a wise choice. People who take the so-called "inexpensive" cruises offered by some companies are constantly encouraged to buy "extras" in the form of alcoholic beverages, special day-trips and even the use of the midnight buffet. These unsuspecting tourists often pay an above-average price for such "inexpensive" cruises

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the position presented in the all-included tour package brochure?

1) Tourists who choose to hire a yacht, and head for the Caribbean independent of any company, ultimately pay less than those who go on inexpensive cruises organised by tour providers.

2) An accounting calculation made for an "inexpensive" cruising company shows that the average payment per passenger is 5% higher at the end of the cruise when charged individually for a five o'clock buffet and a scuba diving course.

3) A marketing investigation shows that while more costly, tourists electing the "inexpensive" option tend to return to the same company for their next cruise in higher percentages than those who choose the "all-included" package.

4) A market assessment made for one of the large cruising companies shows that the tourist who pays a lower nominal fee, yet pays for many "extras", pays insignificantly more than the tourist who pays a higher rate for an "all-included" package.

5) A survey of customers who took cruises lasting more than two weeks shows that tourists that traveled with friends from home enjoyed themselves more than those that left alone or just as a couple.

OA : 2

I feel point 4 is also strengthener. It says that all-included company is saying correct that price of so called in-expensive tours is not less. Point 2 to me is narrow as it just says prices of two services are higher. Overall cruise cost for inexpensive tours may still be lower

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 pm
You could make Sentence Correction questions out of most of the sentences above. For example:

"A marketing investigation shows that while more costly, tourists electing the "inexpensive" option ... "

Clearly the tourists are not 'more costly' than something else, which is what the sentence above says. I'm also not sure why 'percentages' is pluralized, since the answer is talking about one percentage only. I find the question so badly written that I can't understand what many of the sentences mean. Despite its grammatical issues, answer choice C seems to be saying that the inexpensive option is 'more costly' than the 'all included' option. Since that tells us exactly what we want to know, that would clearly strengthen the argument.

Answer choice B includes an incomplete comparison - "5% higher" than what? - and also seems to be saying that the 'payment' is 'charged individually', which makes no grammatical sense. So it's hard to guess just what answer choice B even means. I'm guessing it means that the total cost of one buffet and one scuba diving course is equal to 5% of the cost of the 'inexpensive' cruise itself. If that's what B is saying, it doesn't help much, since while we would then know that some of the 'extras' are expensive relative to the cost of the cruise, we have no information about the difference in the cost of an 'all-inclusive' and an 'inexpensive' cruise. So if B means what I'm guessing it means, it's certainly not a good answer here. If on the other hand, when they write "5% higher", they're comparing the cost of the inexpensive cruise with two extras to the cost of the all-inclusive cruise, then it is a somewhat good answer, since it would then tell us that even by buying just two extras a passenger will spend more on the "inexpensive" cruise. Still, it's not a great answer, because there remains the possibility that scuba diving is both an extremely expensive 'extra' and a very unpopular one. If most passengers don't take scuba diving, then the cost of a scuba diving 'extra' is not particularly relevant to the argument.

It's one of those questions that is so poorly written that you can't pick a good answer unless you can guess what the question designer was thinking, since the answer choices can be interpreted in different ways. I'd recommend just moving on to better-written questions and not worrying about this one, since you won't see something this convoluted on a real GMAT.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by deepsok » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:16 pm
Here we can strengthen the argument by two ways,
1.by proving "all inclusive tour" is less expensive
2.by proving "inexpensive tour package" is more expensive in reality.
I will go with C without any doubt.

I agree with Ian, about the grammatical mistakes in answer choices.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Sanjay2706 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:44 pm
Ignoring the grammatical flaws, I go for B.