Marketing Background?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Marketing Background?

by ptgbeauregard » Fri May 16, 2008 2:42 pm
So, I've been spending a lot of time on this site recently, and that includes reading requests for profile evaluations. I've noticed two main profiles -- international finance/IT and domestic finance. I've also seen a few non-traditional profiles that fall outside the spectrum of what would be considered "a business background." Which, given what I've read/heard, can be an advantage.

What I haven't seen (that I can remember) are any candidates that come from a domestic marketing background. I realize this could be a function of who uses this site, but everyone needs to take the GMAT...

Why is this? As you may have guessed, I come from a marketing background that includes management and hybrid sales roles as well. I would like to see more profile evaluations concerning marketing backgrounds to put my own profile in context.

Is there anyone out there?

Is there another site more geared towards marketing/domestic backgrounds?

Thanks!
It must have been love...but it's over now!
780 (49Q, 50V)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by raabenb » Sat May 17, 2008 7:31 am

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by samb » Thu May 29, 2008 3:31 pm
Another Marketing guy here! 2 years in CPG sales/category management and 2 years (at matriculation) in CPG brand management. I've noticed the same thing as you. This forum seems very heavy in a few specific backgrounds.

I'm targeting targeting HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg and Duke in my top 5. (Ross, Indiana, Cornell, CBS and McCombs for my 2nd round/back-ups)

How about you?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ptgbeauregard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:38 pm
I'm looking at UVA, Vanderbilt, Emory, Indiana, and Georgetown. That list will become a little more solid once I take the GMAT 6/16. I may apply to one of the super elites if my GMAT is incredibly good, but we'll see. I don't think I would be all that comfortable at any of those schools.

Like I said, my application will focus on my management and the diversity of my experience, marketing and otherwise. From what I hear, the best tactic is to highlight what makes you unique and what you could contribute that others could not.

Although, judging from all the other profiles on this site, it might be unique enough to just write MARKETING in big block letters across all pages of the application.

Kidding, of course. In reference to the GMAT, I'm just looking for a score that will get my application past the easy slide into the waste basket. BS GPA is what it is (3.5 from Big State), but I think the biggest impact I can make is with essays and (hopefully) interviews.

A little first chapter of "The Sound and the Fury" there, but that's kind of where I'm at.
It must have been love...but it's over now!
780 (49Q, 50V)