Market research

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

Market research

by reply2spg » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:11 pm
Source - Grockit. I don't see any of the options correct here.

2 Questions

1. If I know correctly then 'due to' is right when we can replace the same by 'caused by', else it should come after 'to be' clause. But in this sentence I don't see any of the rule applied.

2. Not X, but Y correct idiom. Where X and Y must be parallel.
Not only X but also Y correct idiom. Where X and Y must be parallel.
Not X but rather Y is also correct idiom. Where X and Y must be parallel.

But in this question none of the idioms are correct. Why? Please explain

Market research has shown that the newest model of E-Phone gained widespread popularity not due to technical superiority but through seamless and intuitive design.

gained widespread popularity not due to technical superiority but through seamless

gained widespread popularity not only due to technical superiority but also through seamless

did not gain widespread popularity due to technical superiority but through seamless

did not gain widespread popularity in cosideration of technical superiority but rather due to seameless

gaining widespread popularity not due to technical superiority but also through seamless

OA Later
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by thevoid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:29 pm
reply2spg wrote:Source - Grockit. I don't see any of the options correct here.

2 Questions

1. If I know correctly then 'due to' is right when we can replace the same by 'caused by', else it should come after 'to be' clause. But in this sentence I don't see any of the rule applied.

Market research has shown that the newest model of E-Phone gained widespread popularity not due to technical superiority but through seamless and intuitive design.

gained widespread popularity not due to technical superiority but through seamless

gained widespread popularity not only due to technical superiority but also through seamless

did not gain widespread popularity due to technical superiority but through seamless

did not gain widespread popularity in cosideration of technical superiority but rather due to seameless

gaining widespread popularity not due to technical superiority but also through seamless

OA Later
WELL, there is a correct option , idiom "not only.......but also" , probably you are getting confused because due to tech super and through seemless, doesnt look parallel, but IMO they are rightly used.

B seems perfect.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:39 am

OA Later
For me the first option(A) is right.
B changes the meaning.
C and D are not parallel.
E consists of incorrect idiom[/quote]

Community Manager
Followed by:24 members

by shovan85 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:52 am
I cannot see any error between A and B though meaning is quite different.

A: It says that phone is not technically superior but seamless design makes it popular

B: Idiom is OK and although meaning is distorted makes logical sense to me

C: "did not gain widespread popularity" this phrase cannot be outside the contrast. It implicates as if the phone has not at all gained popularity neither because of X nor because of Y.

D: "did not gain widespread popularity" same as C

E: not X but also Y is a wrong Idiom

by psychomath » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:12 pm
I think it should be A.....

by winner's attitude » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:12 am
I dont see any flaw in A or B , Both the sentences are correct with its own meaning.

But , since i have to choose only one , i would go with the original meaning of the sentence and would choose A only

Pls correct me if i am wrong anywhere

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:12 am
IM O A

But only .. but also changes meaning of sentence here.
--------
Ankur mittal

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:35 am
Terrible question.

Your doubt about due to is well justified. Use of due to is not proper here.

Moreover, removing that error,
Both A and B are perfectly okay grammatically but have wildly different meanings. Pity that we have to choose between the two. The obvious response would be that go for the original meaning. Still I do not think that we should have two sentences which have similar grammatical structure (both correct) and perfectly valid but different meanings.

You may PM a Grockit instructor to clarify.
scio me nihil scire

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:37 pm
Btw... OA is A.
Sudhanshu

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:38 pm
How can I see the list of instructors here?
niksworth wrote:Terrible question.

Your doubt about due to is well justified. Use of due to is not proper here.

Moreover, removing that error,
Both A and B are perfectly okay grammatically but have wildly different meanings. Pity that we have to choose between the two. The obvious response would be that go for the original meaning. Still I do not think that we should have two sentences which have similar grammatical structure (both correct) and perfectly valid but different meanings.

You may PM a Grockit instructor to clarify.
Sudhanshu

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:14 am
reply2spg wrote:How can I see the list of instructors here?

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/experts

I think Jim may help out.
scio me nihil scire

by kapur.arnav » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:35 am

2 Questions

OA Later
This is a beautiful question as it challenges the rule of not only... but also...

We can safely eliminate all options here and be left with A and B...

A uses not... but

B uses not only.. but also

Both are correct idioms as u have correctly pointed out.... However, there is a subtle aspect regarding the use of not only... but also which you should remember...

not only... but also should be used when both the thoughts reinforce each other... something like...

Jack is not only a brilliant student but also a great musician... as u can see the thoughts are reinforcing each other...

In the given question... this is not happening... hence A is the correct option...
I hope u got your answer... thanks

by kapur.arnav » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:37 am

2 Questions

OA Later
usage of through can be challenged in B... not parallel to due to...