• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Many people blame hunters

This topic has 5 expert replies and 4 member replies

Many people blame hunters

Post

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Difficult



Hunter: Many people blame hunters alone for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years. Yet clearly, black bears have also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, the forest's protected black bear population has risen sharply, and examination of black bears found dead in the forest during the deer hunting season showed that a number of them had recently fed on deer.

In the hunter's argument, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

(A) It is the main conclusion of the argument.
(B) It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain.
(C) It is an explanation that the argument concludes is correct.
(D) It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.
(E) It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes

E



Last edited by AbeNeedsAnswers on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Posted:
2667 messages
Followed by:
122 members
Upvotes:
1153
GMAT Score:
770
Post
AbeNeedsAnswers wrote:
Hunter: Many people blame hunters alone for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years. Yet clearly, black bears have also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, the forest's protected black bear population has risen sharply, and examination of black bears found dead in the forest during the deer hunting season showed that a number of them had recently fed on deer.

In the hunter's argument, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

(A) It is the main conclusion of the argument.
(B) It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain.
(C) It is an explanation that the argument concludes is correct.
(D) It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.
(E) It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes

E
Would you remind reposting this? These are tough without the bold Smile

_________________
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
05 Jun 2015
Posted:
362 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Upvotes:
3
Post
Hi Dave/Mitch/Experts,

Can you pls explain What exactly is the judgment is ?

Can you please add some more words which are used in BOLD faced Questions?

Thanks
Nandish

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Posted:
2667 messages
Followed by:
122 members
Upvotes:
1153
GMAT Score:
770
Post
NandishSS wrote:
Hi Dave/Mitch/Experts,

Can you pls explain What exactly is the judgment is ?

Can you please add some more words which are used in BOLD faced Questions?

Thanks
Nandish
The judgment is the first line: the notion that hunters are to blame for the drop in the deer population.

Some common terms often use to identify components of a "Role of Bold" question: opinion/conclusion/position/prediction/belief and premise/evidence/conditions/support. That list isn't exhaustive, but the goal isn't to memorize every variation of terminology you might see. It's to become adept at recognizing how these arguments are constructed, and differentiating between what the argument's author believes and what entities within the argument believe.

_________________
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
05 Dec 2015
Posted:
120 messages
Target GMAT Score:
720
Post
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
AbeNeedsAnswers wrote:
Hunter: Many people blame hunters alone for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years. Yet clearly, black bears have also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, the forest's protected black bear population has risen sharply, and examination of black bears found dead in the forest during the deer hunting season showed that a number of them had recently fed on deer.

In the hunter's argument, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

(A) It is the main conclusion of the argument.
(B) It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain.
(C) It is an explanation that the argument concludes is correct.
(D) It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.
(E) It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes

E
Would you remind reposting this? These are tough without the bold Smile
Statement 'a finding that argument seeks to explain' would generally be a position for which author of the argument argues rather than the position that is at issue.

So here this finding, not in bold, would have to be the second sentence of the stimulus:
Bears are also responsible for the reduction in deer population[i]

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Posted:
2667 messages
Followed by:
122 members
Upvotes:
1153
GMAT Score:
770
Post
gocoder wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
AbeNeedsAnswers wrote:
Hunter: Many people blame hunters alone for the decline in Greenrock National Forest's deer population over the past ten years. Yet clearly, black bears have also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, the forest's protected black bear population has risen sharply, and examination of black bears found dead in the forest during the deer hunting season showed that a number of them had recently fed on deer.

In the hunter's argument, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

(A) It is the main conclusion of the argument.
(B) It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain.
(C) It is an explanation that the argument concludes is correct.
(D) It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.
(E) It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes

E
Would you remind reposting this? These are tough without the bold Smile
Statement 'a finding that argument seeks to explain' would generally be a position for which author of the argument argues rather than the position that is at issue.

So here this finding, not in bold, would have to be the second sentence of the stimulus:
Bears are also responsible for the reduction in deer population
Well, a finding would be some kind of fact or premise. The notion that black bears are responsible for the decrease in the deer population is an alternative [i]conclusion that's informed by two facts.

1) The black bear population is up
2) black bears feed on deer

The author isn't trying to explain those facts. Rather, he's using those facts to support his alternative conclusion.

_________________
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
05 Jun 2015
Posted:
362 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Upvotes:
3
Post
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
NandishSS wrote:
Hi Dave/Mitch/Experts,

Can you pls explain What exactly is the judgment is ?

Can you please add some more words which are used in BOLD faced Questions?

Thanks
Nandish
The judgment is the first line: the notion that hunters are to blame for the drop in the deer population.

Some common terms often use to identify components of a "Role of Bold" question: opinion/conclusion/position/prediction/belief and premise/evidence/conditions/support. That list isn't exhaustive, but the goal isn't to memorize every variation of terminology you might see. It's to become adept at recognizing how these arguments are constructed, and differentiating between what the argument's author believes and what entities within the argument believe.
Hi Dave,

What is the difference between Conclusion and judgment ?

Here Conclusion is :- "black bears have also played an important role in this decline" .Is it Right ?

Thanks
Nandish

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Posted:
2667 messages
Followed by:
122 members
Upvotes:
1153
GMAT Score:
770
Post
NandishSS wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
NandishSS wrote:
Hi Dave/Mitch/Experts,

Can you pls explain What exactly is the judgment is ?

Can you please add some more words which are used in BOLD faced Questions?

Thanks
Nandish
The judgment is the first line: the notion that hunters are to blame for the drop in the deer population.

Some common terms often use to identify components of a "Role of Bold" question: opinion/conclusion/position/prediction/belief and premise/evidence/conditions/support. That list isn't exhaustive, but the goal isn't to memorize every variation of terminology you might see. It's to become adept at recognizing how these arguments are constructed, and differentiating between what the argument's author believes and what entities within the argument believe.
Hi Dave,

What is the difference between Conclusion and judgment ?

Here Conclusion is :- "black bears have also played an important role in this decline" .Is it Right ?

Thanks
Nandish
Strictly speaking, there's not much difference between a conclusion and a judgment. Both can be some type of belief or opinion. In this instance, the judgment is a belief expressed by entities within the argument (many people), and the conclusion (bears played an important role) is the opinion of the argument's author.

_________________
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
05 Dec 2015
Posted:
120 messages
Target GMAT Score:
720
Post
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
Well, a finding would be some kind of fact or premise. The notion that black bears are responsible for the decrease in the deer population is an alternative conclusion that's informed by two facts.

1) The black bear population is up
2) black bears feed on deer

The author isn't trying to explain those facts. Rather, he's using those facts to support his alternative conclusion.
Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.
(B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.
(C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.
(D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.
(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

This is a different stimulus but I'm posting this one here because of the apparent similarity of choices: 'It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain', as stated in choice B of the original question in thread and 'The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain', as stated in choices D and E of the above question.

Can 'circumstances' be used for 'reasoning/evidence' or is it that 'circumstances', like findings are restricted to premises/opinions ?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Posted:
2667 messages
Followed by:
122 members
Upvotes:
1153
GMAT Score:
770
Post
gocoder wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
Well, a finding would be some kind of fact or premise. The notion that black bears are responsible for the decrease in the deer population is an alternative conclusion that's informed by two facts.

1) The black bear population is up
2) black bears feed on deer

The author isn't trying to explain those facts. Rather, he's using those facts to support his alternative conclusion.
Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.
(B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.
(C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.
(D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.
(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

This is a different stimulus but I'm posting this one here because of the apparent similarity of choices: 'It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain', as stated in choice B of the original question in thread and 'The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain', as stated in choices D and E of the above question.

Can 'circumstances' be used for 'reasoning/evidence' or is it that 'circumstances', like findings are restricted to premises/opinions ?
"Circumstances" is a pretty open-ended term, so I wouldn't waste much energy trying to determine if a bolded portion should be labeled this way, but sure, circumstances can be a kind of evidence. (Think of the phrase 'circumstantial evidence.')

_________________
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT

Top First Responders*

1 Brent@GMATPrepNow 39 first replies
2 Ian Stewart 37 first replies
3 Jay@ManhattanReview 32 first replies
4 GMATGuruNY 26 first replies
5 Scott@TargetTestPrep 17 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

188 posts
2 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

84 posts
3 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

71 posts
4 image description Ian Stewart

GMATiX Teacher

45 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

45 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts