many house builders

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:670

many house builders

by uptowngirl92 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:19 pm
I need somebody to clear out my concept..Please discuss..
Attachments
4.JPG

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by NikolayZ » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:21 am
Hey Uptowngirl !

I'll try to answer this one.
First of all, enable x to be able to... is redundant. "enable" already means that that X will be able to to smth.
In order to make a sentence parallel, we have to put - move and apply, into the same form, i.e. enable to move ... and to apply.
Hence the answer is B.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 am
Yeah well said..

IMO B !!

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:41 am
In a lengthy sentence consisting of many phrases, it is essential to determine which phrases and words are necessary to the sentence and which words may be eliminated because they are unnecessary. The relative pronoun that correctly refers to programs and introduces the subordinate clause;family is followed by two phrases that are clear and correct. To be able to move, however, is needlessly wordy, repeating the meaning of enable, and can be reduced to 'to move'. This creates a parallel construction in which programs ... enable a family ... to move ... and to apply

A To be able to move is wordy and able is redundant after enable; to apply is not logically parallel to the infinitive phrase (able) to move.

B Correct. In this sentence, eliminating the wordy construction to be able allows to move to be parallel to to apply.

C Insofar as this is grammatical, using a semicolon here causes that to refer too broadly to the entire previous clause rather than specifically to programs; the two infinitives should be joined by the conjunction and, not separated by a comma.

D Enables does not agree with the plural subject; applying following a nonrestrictive clause suggests incorrectly that the builders not the family, are applying the rent.
E The comma after programs is incorrect because the clause is meant to be restrictive' , as in D, applying will alter the meaning of the sentence.