Many gardeners believe---2016 verbal review question

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Many gardeners believe that the variety of clematis vine that is most popular among gardeners in North America is jackmanii. This belief is apparently correct since, of the one million clematis plants sold per year by the largest clematis nursery in North America, ten percent are jackmanii.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

a.The nursery sells more than 10 different varieties of clematis
b.the largest clematis nursery in North America sells nothing but clematis plants
c.some of the jackmanii sold by the nursery are sold to gardeners outside North America
d.most North American gardeners grow clematis in their gardens
e.For all nurseries in North America that specialize in clematis, at least 10% of the clematis plants they sell are jackmanii.

OA:A

For this question, I believe the best way is to use the negation technique. After applying this technique, I found that OA is not airtight, yet I understand that the OA must be correct, then it must be me falling into some logical fallacy.

If we negate the first answer choice,it will become "the nursery sells 10 or less varieties of clematis". Now let's suppose the nursery sells ten varieties of that including jackmanii, each type contributes to 10%, the argument still holds water as jackmanii would still be the best-selling clematis.

Can anyone explain this to me? I would really appreciate it.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:43 am
allenh wrote:Many gardeners believe that the variety of clematis vine that is most popular among gardeners in North America is jackmanii. This belief is apparently correct since, of the one million clematis plants sold per year by the largest clematis nursery in North America, ten percent are jackmanii.

b.the largest clematis nursery in North America sells nothing but clematis plants
c.some of the jackmanii sold by the nursery are sold to gardeners outside North America
e.For all nurseries in North America that specialize in clematis, at least 10% of the clematis plants they sell are jackmanii.
Premise: Of the one million clematis plants sold per year by the largest clematis nursery in North America, ten percent are jackmanii.
Conclusion: The variety of clematis vine that is most popular among gardeners in North America is jackmanii.

Assumption: The 10% of sales attributed to jackmanjii is the HIGHEST percentage attributed to any variety of clematis.

Answer choice A, negated:
The nursery does not sell more than 10 different varieties of clematis.
Let the total number of varieties = 10.
Let the 10 varieties be A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and J.
Since J=10%, the remaining 90% of sales must be distributed among A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I.

Case 1: A=10%, B=10%, C=10%, D=10%, E=10%, F=10%, G=10%, H=10%, I=10%.
Here, each variety accounts for 10% of sales.

Case 2: A=11%, B=9%, C=10%, D=10%, E=10%, F=10%, G=10%, H=10%, I=10%.
Here, A accounts for a HIGHER percentage of sales (11%) than does J (10%).

As Cases 1 and 2 illustrate, it is not possible for J to account for the highest percentage of sales if the nursery sells 10 different varieties of clematis.
Since the negation of A invalidates the conclusion that J is the most popular variety of clematis, A is the assumption: WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by nikhilgmat31 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:23 am
For Option A nursery sells more than 10 different types
Case 1- each may be less than 10% and has more than 10 different types of clematis.
Case 2- It can be possible that 1 is 20% & rest comprises of 80 % . lets 1 clemati gives 20 % & rest 16 gives 5% each.

I think E is also good candidate of answer.
atleast 10% of plants at jacmannies.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Neilsheth2 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:32 pm
Hello Mitch,

I still could not understand how it would be A.

According to your thoughts:-If there are lets say 11 Varieties(going without negating the statement) then too one of the variety could sell more than Jackmanii. For e.g.)
Let the 11 varieties be A-5%, B-5%, C-10%, D-10%, E-10%, F-10%, G-10%, H-10%, I-9% , J(Jackmanii)-10% and K-11%.

May be I am not understanding your analogy.

Secondly , I thought that the 10% sales from one of the Nurseries represents the complete Sale in North America and this assumption predicted was present in E(Since if it the sales from one nursery do not represent the complete picture then why would the author make such a statement)

. Need some help from your end.

Thanks in Advance.
GMATGuruNY wrote:
allenh wrote:Many gardeners believe that the variety of clematis vine that is most popular among gardeners in North America is jackmanii. This belief is apparently correct since, of the one million clematis plants sold per year by the largest clematis nursery in North America, ten percent are jackmanii.

Premise: Of the one million clematis plants sold per year by the largest clematis nursery in North America, ten percent are jackmanii.
Conclusion: The variety of clematis vine that is most popular among gardeners in North America is jackmanii.

Assumption: The 10% of sales attributed to jackmanjii is the HIGHEST percentage attributed to any variety of clematis.

Answer choice A, negated:
The nursery does not sell more than 10 different varieties of clematis.
Let the total number of varieties = 10.
Let the 10 varieties be A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and J.
Since J=10%, the remaining 90% of sales must be distributed among A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I.

Case 1: A=10%, B=10%, C=10%, D=10%, E=10%, F=10%, G=10%, H=10%, I=10%.
Here, each variety accounts for 10% of sales.

Case 2: A=11%, B=9%, C=10%, D=10%, E=10%, F=10%, G=10%, H=10%, I=10%.
Here, A accounts for a HIGHER percentage of sales (11%) than does J (10%).

As Cases 1 and 2 illustrate, it is not possible for J to account for the highest percentage of sales if the nursery sells 10 different varieties of clematis.
Since the negation of A invalidates the conclusion that J is the most popular variety of clematis, A is the assumption: WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.

The correct answer is A.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:37 am
Neilsheth2 wrote: I still could not understand how it would be A.

According to your thoughts:-If there are lets say 11 Varieties(going without negating the statement) then too one of the variety could sell more than Jackmanii. For e.g.)
Let the 11 varieties be A-5%, B-5%, C-10%, D-10%, E-10%, F-10%, G-10%, H-10%, I-9% , J(Jackmanii)-10% and K-11%.

May be I am not understanding your analogy.
You are attempting to use the assumption to PROVE the conclusion.
But an assumption is not proof.
An assumption is a PREREQUISITE: something that MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.

Here, if not more than 10 varieties of clematis are sold, then it is not possible for jackmanii to account for the greatest percentage of sales.
Consider an extreme case:
If only two varietes of clematis are sold -- A and J -- then J accounts for 10%, while A accounts for the remaining 90%, with the result that jackmanii does NOT account for the greatest percentage of sales.

As shown in my post above, for jackmanii to account for the greatest percentage of sales, IT MUST BE TRUE that more than 10 varieties of clematis are sold.
Hence, A is the correct assumption: WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.
Secondly , I thought that the 10% sales from one of the Nurseries represents the complete Sale in North America and this assumption predicted was present in E(Since if it the sales from one nursery do not represent the complete picture then why would the author make such a statement)

. Need some help from your end.
E: For all nurseries in North America that specialize in clematis, at least 10% of the clematis plants they sell are jackmanii.
Beware extreme language.
If jackmanii account for 10% of sales at 10,000 nurseries but for only 9% of sales at 1 nursery, then the conclusion that jackmanii is the most popular variety of clematis could still be valid.
Since it does not have to be true that the 10% figure holds true for ALL nurseries, eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Kapilambwani » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:58 am
Jacckmanii has 10% so the rest have to equal 90%. If JackManii's share of sales is the greatest, then the share of all other varieties has to be less than 10%. The share of all other varieties willl not equal 90% unless there are at least 10 other varieties. Therefore the share of Jackmanii can be the greatest at 10% ONLY and ONLY if there are at least 10 other varieties. hence the answer is A

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:08 am
Hi Verbal Experts(Dave/Mitch/Ceilidh/others),
Could you please let me know whether the followings would be correct ASSUMPTIONS for this CR -

1. There is a LINK between POPULARITY and SALES. Highest (volume of) sales implies MOST POPULAR variant.

2. 10% should be the HIGHEST amount of clematis variant (jackmanii) sold by the largest clematis nursery.

3. NO other type of clematis is sold @ >=10% by MOST of the clematis nursery in North America.

Am I correct ?

P.S: Also, could there be any other possible ASSUMPTIONS that are IMPORTANT to take note of ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:55 pm
Hi Verbal Experts(Dave/Mitch/Ceilidh/others),
Could you please let me know whether the followings would be correct ASSUMPTIONS for this CR -

1. There is a LINK between POPULARITY and SALES. Highest (volume of) sales implies MOST POPULAR variant.
Yes, absolutely correct. The conclusion is about "most popular," but the premise is about number sold. Popularity could be defined differently (e.g. what people like best, even if they can't afford it). Or perhaps not are plants are purchased - maybe some are bartered or even stolen.
2. 10% should be the HIGHEST amount of clematis variant (jackmanii) sold by the largest clematis nursery.
Exactly. If we're linking popularity to # sold, then no other varietal can account for more than 10%.
3. NO other type of clematis is sold @ >=10% by MOST of the clematis nursery in North America.
Hm, I'm not sure that this strictly has to be true. We could imagine some number of tiny little shops that happen to sell more of something else, without disrupting the balance of total sold. I would put it this way:

3. The proportion of clemantis plants sold at the largest nursery is an accurate representation of the aggregate popularity & sales in all of North America.

Here one more major one I would add:

4. Gardeners tend to buy plants locally, i.e. North American nurseries are selling to North American gardeners, and imports/exports are not a factor.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:57 pm
It's always worth noting that:
a) most arguments contain more than one assumption, and
b) as Mitch said, assumptions are not necessarily SUFFICIENT to prove the conclusion, but they are NECESSARY prerequisites for the conclusion.
Ceilidh Erickson

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:51 am
ceilidh.erickson wrote:
Hm, I'm not sure that this strictly has to be true. We could imagine some number of tiny little shops that happen to sell more of something else, without disrupting the balance of total sold. I would put it this way:
ceilidh.erickson wrote:3. The proportion of clemantis plants sold at the largest nursery is an accurate representation of the aggregate popularity & sales in all of North America.
Absolutely, I agree with your second quote.

However, I guess, what you mentioned in the above FIRST quote is quite similar to what I had mentioned in my adjacent quote through the phrase "by MOST of the clematis nursery in North America" -- doesn't this PHRASE imply that some number of tiny little shops can sell more of something else ?

Quick thoughts please ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:24 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
ceilidh.erickson wrote:
ceilidh.erickson wrote:3. The proportion of clemantis plants sold at the largest nursery is an accurate representation of the aggregate popularity & sales in all of North America.
Absolutely, I agree with your second quote.

However, I guess, what you mentioned in the above FIRST quote is quite similar to what I had mentioned in my adjacent quote through the phrase "by MOST of the clematis nursery in North America" -- doesn't this PHRASE imply that some number of tiny little shops can sell more of something else ?

Quick thoughts please ?
Yes, I generally agree. The point I was making is that "MOST of the nurseries" and "MOST of the plants sold" are two very different metrics. What I could have said was:
Imagine that there were 100 such nurseries, but the largest one was so large that it accounted for more than 50% of total sales. In that case, "most nurseries" would be 51+ stores, but account for less than 50% of sales, and might not therefore impact the argument.

To your broader point - yes, "most" always implies that there might be others that do not conform.
Ceilidh Erickson