manufacturing background

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

manufacturing background

by sam11owen » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:47 am
hello
can anyone pls tel me how would having a manufacturing background help me in an MBA application
im a production engineer from India
since most students applying from india are a part of the IT pool, does having a background of manufacturing help?
wil it help me contribute more to an MBA class?
would the MBA adcom think so too?
thank you

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by analyst218 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:22 am
sam11owen wrote:hello
can anyone pls tel me how would having a manufacturing background help me in an MBA application
im a production engineer from India
since most students applying from india are a part of the IT pool, does having a background of manufacturing help?
wil it help me contribute more to an MBA class?
would the MBA adcom think so too?
thank you
it depends on what you want do do post-MBA.
if you want to stay in your industry and you target manufacturing heavy schools such as Johnson, yes your background will speak for itself.
If you want to switch industry and/or function, yes your background will help, depending on how you tell your story.
for example say you want to switch to investment banking and start as an associate, you will have to somehow connect the dots with that specific position with your experiences-to-date.
How well you convince the adcoms depends on how much you research about your desired career and how well you package yourself.
hope it helps

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sam11owen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:44 am
thank you very much for your reply
i really appreciate your help
i think i would like to stay in the industry
are there any other suggestions with respect to b schools to which i should apply or application guidelines?
i would be really grateful
thank you