M.Sc in Management at LSE for 2011 intake

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

M.Sc in Management at LSE for 2011 intake

by justrohiet » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:57 am
Hi,

I want to apply to the two-year M.Sc in Management program at the LSE for Fall 2011 intake.

However, I am highly confused if my profile will even be considered.

I am 1986 born, did my bachelors in commerce (3-year course) from India, then MBA (two-year) from India. I finished my MBA in 2008 & have got two years' of work experience now. By the time I get attend classes next year, I will have 3-year's experience.

You may think why I wana go for another Masters if I already have an MBA. It is for the quality of education. My MBA was not from a top-notch institution, & I had done it at that time because I didnt know what else to do. But now I know I want to pursue my career in Management & the course at LSE sounds just right.

So can someone guide me if my profile will be considered at LSE.

Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:00 am
Dear justrohiet,

I encourage you to contact LSE directly to inquire if you are eligible for the the MSc program. Depending on how much overlap is between your current master's degree and the MSc program, it may or may not be an issue. The admissions staff is also the best to ask for insights on how the rest of your profile will be viewed and what you might want to work on in the event you are eligible to apply.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by justrohiet » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:18 am
Thank you Lisa.

I did email them. They wrote me that I need a bachelor's degree with good grades & need to show english language proficiency. Then my application will be screened & the selector's will take a call.
However, I wanted to hear if my application would be considered at all in the first place!

Because I was also looking for doing an MBA instead, from US. I had emailed Fuqua School of Business & Emory University's Goizeuta School of Business, both said we dont admit students already holding an MBA.

Let me tell you something more about me so that you'd be able to help me better.
I have done an MBA from India, from a government university. The quality of that education is indeed not comparable to the likes of US/Canada/UK.
And I think I have a good potential to rise higher, faster. Doing a good masters degree comes first to my mind. And the countries that I am considering are US, UK, Canada.
I would also be happy doing a masters course in International Business, but UK doesnt seem to be a very good place for that. In US, except the schools which offer MBA, I have no idea of the quality of the other schools offering anything in International Management.
There are no good courses in International Management in Canada which I could find.

So i am highly confused & lost.

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks.

P.S.: I am looking up this site gradschools.com for the non-MBA courses in US.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 am
I'm sorry to hear you could not get more information from LSE. The staff probably wants to see your transcript before answering the question on whether your current MBA precludes you from applying there.

Most US business schools will not accept your application if you already hold an MBA from another school, so you need to look for Master of Science (MS) programs in the US. Those are few in number, to be honest, in the business disciplines and usually fall under the larger disciplines like finance, information systems, human resources and marketing. You might find a few in international business, but many US academics do not view international business as a separate discipline--it is merely part of the nature of doing business today in the formal, traditional disciplines. So, you might look into MS programs in one of the traditional disciplines where you want to increase your knowledge, like finance or marketing, and then research the curriculum for the number of courses with a global focus. I also encourage you to research the few Master of International Management (MIM) programs that are out there--but you will need to inquire whether or not your current MBA will remove you from consideration of those programs. The best known MIM (or similar) programs in the US would be Thunderbird (in Arizona) and University of South Carolina, as well as some on the west coast (California, Oregon, Washington). You might also try to search on mba.com even though you are not looking for an MBA program as many schools will list their other graduate programs in addition to the MBA on that site.

Hope that helps,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by justrohiet » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:26 am
Hi Lisa,

Thanks a lot for that reply. This is the kind of reply I was looking for! Straightforward & honest!

I will definitely look into it & will keep you updated on my progress.

One more question though - when you mentioned about the MIM programs, I wanted to know what sort of job opportunities would such graduates get in the US? Because I would like to also work there to get a good exposure.
Are there jobs for such graduates in the US? Last but not the least, after MIM, is it possible to get into consulting domain?
Because currently I am working as a business consultant with an amazing exposure to two international clients, based out of UK.

Thank you again Lisa.

Warm regards,
Rohit Mittal

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:54 am
Rohit,

Career opportunities are often what you make them to be in the US, so it will greatly depend on you and your individual effort. It is best to research the program and its career services office to get an idea of how strong a tie there is to the consulting industry and what types of jobs graduates take when leaving the program. You might also try to participate in a chat with school representatives and/or current students to be able to ask detailed questions for information not readily available on the internet. Generally speaking, the consulting industry hires folks from diverse backgrounds and degree programs, so I am sure there are MIM graduates in the consulting space.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by justrohiet » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:03 am
Thank you very much Lisa.

Your reply has been of great help.

Rohit Mittal

by AGupta » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Hey,
I am too planning to apply for Msc In management and strategy for 2011 intake. I have GRE score of 1420( 780+640) .
Have done BTech in Computer Science from well known institute in India. Also I am working with Mckinsey&Company as a resarch anaylyst since more than a year now.

Do I have chances of making into it? Would the program be a nice add on to my profile ? What are the job prospects after this course in London itself. Also whom should I contact regarding this ? Directly the professors ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:29 pm
Dear AGupta,

The admissions office at LSE should be able to field your questions, but you might also check the school's website first as some might be readily available there. You should be able to find a class profile to compare your profile to, which will give you a sense of how competitive you are on the surface. The application does give you a chance to distinguish yourself from the competition, so don't discount the importance of the essays, recommendations and interview.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by tanni » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:17 am
Hi Lisa and everbody else,

Lisa, after reading so many post of yours, I would like to say you are of great help to confused mortals like me. I too have a query.

I am planning to apply for Msc. in strategy and mangaement. Can you please provide of any insight into the placements after this course? This question is important as I want to be sure that I would be able to repay my loan which I had to take for this course. Though I understand placement is an individual thing, but I would like to know the general trend ?
My future plans are- after this course, I want to work for 2-3 years and then go in for MBA from top notch US university to expand my career prospects. Does H/s/w/k consider an application for MBA with a prior Msc degre in mgmt and strategy?

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:26 am
Dear tanni,

Placement results depend mostly on the individual and secondly on other factors like the school and the job market. You should be able to get an idea of the types of industries and functional areas where MSc graduates accept positions from the schools' placement reports. I also encourage you to do some research, perhaps talk with the career services offices at these programs, to determine what career services are available to you, how the career services office helps you with your search.

Having another graduate degree, like a MSc, will not exclude you from applying for an MBA as long as the MSc is not viewed as an equivalent degree. You will need to verify that the MSc programs you are considering are truly MSc programs and not MBA-equivalent programs if you want to have the option of getting an MBA later. I will caution you though that it is important for you to look at this decision with a long-term perspective. You need to have solid reasoning for both degrees. MBA admissions officers will want to know why you need an MBA in addition to the MSc degree for your career goals. Why are both degrees necessary for your goals? How do these degrees fit in with your overall career plan?

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by beatthegre » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:05 am
Lisa or anyone who has a good idea,

first of all, this post has been quite useful info, thanks for the OP and replies.

My background for my question> I have been admitted to LSE's Msc Management (2yr) program for 2010, deferred it to 2011 and am now applying to other schools. Family immigrated to the US and I want to start moving over soon too, however am at odds with the type of graduate business education one can take with less than a year of work experience.

I know I want to work in the private sector and do consulting/brand management. An MBA is a great bet, but I want to earn a masters and join the workforce after. In the EU, LSE, LBS seem the closest to the US (in terms of English-English) and the CEMS program is an excellent addition to the LSE degree.

I have found Duke Fuqua is starting a MiM program as well, however dont know of anything business and graduate management (general) related in the US.

Questions>
-What kind of MiM programs or similar grad business, non-MBA programs exist in the US? High level unies like LSE (since if I got in, I dont want to settle for less)
- How would LSE MiM vs LBS MiM fare when trying to work in the US? (new York area)
- WIth and east asian studies and business administration undergrad background, what value would the LSE MiM bring? (As I even looked at East ASian studies grad progras to apply for too, but that is not too strongly related to the private sectorand business world)

I know these questions may be vague and ask too much, however any input I am happy to hear.

THANK YOU
Happy New YEar

by SVW247 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:09 pm
Hey,
I will apply to LSE Msc Management this year and would like to know what you think how good my chances are to get an offer from LSE:
Here is my profile:
Degree: Bachelor in business administration in Germany
2:1 degree
Gmat: 660 (quant: 47; verbal: 34; 81%)
Experience: 2 Internships in investmentbanking (each 3 months), one internship at Industry Corporation (2 months)
Is someone doing the Msc management at LSE currently or has experience with the application?
Thanks in advance!