LSAT CR Question: Television advertising

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
A recent study reveals that television advertising does not significantly affect children's preferences for breakfast cereals. The study compared two groups of children. One group had watched no television, and the other group had watched average amounts of television and its advertising. Both groups strongly preferred the sugary cereals heavily advertised on television.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most weakens the argument?
(A) The preferences of children who do not watch television advertising are influenced by the preferences of children who watch the advertising.
(B) The preference for sweets is not a universal trait in human and can be influenced by environmental factors such as television advertising.
(C) Most of the children in the group that had watched television were already familiar with the advertisements for these cereals.
(D) Both groups rejected cereals low in sugar even when these cereal were heavily advertised on television.
(E) Cereal preferences of adults who watch television are known to be significantly different from the cereal preferences of adults who do not watch television.

OA: A

Need help with this question.
I selected C.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:18 am
sachin_Anand wrote:A recent study reveals that television advertising does not significantly affect children's preferences for breakfast cereals. The study compared two groups of children. One group had watched no television, and the other group had watched average amounts of television and its advertising. Both groups strongly preferred the sugary cereals heavily advertised on television.

(A) The preferences of children who do not watch television advertising are influenced by the preferences of children who watch the advertising.
(B) The preference for sweets is not a universal trait in human and can be influenced by environmental factors such as television advertising.
(C) Most of the children in the group that had watched television were already familiar with the advertisements for these cereals.
(D) Both groups rejected cereals low in sugar even when these cereal were heavily advertised on television.
(E) Cereal preferences of adults who watch television are known to be significantly different from the cereal preferences of adults who do not watch television.

I selected C.
i could understand why you chose C.... however A the correct answer makes more sense for this CR
i hate LSAT but i think i could help you understand this
the CR says that TV ads dont effect on kiddo's preferences for cereal . it tested 2 groups. one watch TV ads and other doesn't. and both groups released the same result: both love cereal, no matter whether they watched TV ad or not...

A means that althought TV ad doesnt directly impact the hobby of the kids who dont watch TV ad but it inderectly influence on them by the group of kiddos who watched it...
thus A is the answer

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by this_time_i_will » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:18 am
sachin_Anand wrote:A recent study reveals that television advertising does not significantly affect children's preferences for breakfast cereals. The study compared two groups of children. One group had watched no television, and the other group had watched average amounts of television and its advertising. Both groups strongly preferred the sugary cereals heavily advertised on television.

I selected C.
C says nothing about the children who have never watched TV. Let's say there were 10 children in the group and out of these 10, 7 have watched the ad. So probably the ad may affect these children, but about the rest 3?

by sachin_Anand » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:27 am
@diebeatsthegmat & @ this_time_i_will
Well ,I was just not getting it . so again started to list down my doubts against ur explanations.But then I scanned the first line of the stimulus ( which is of course what we have to weaken ) & bingooo !!!! got it heheh.....

actually I thought that it is the action of " watching the advertisement" that affects the children preferences But in fact the stimulus ( rather the first sentence ) talks about ONLY the television advertising ...

eeeewwwkkk why didn't I get it initially....

Thanks anyways :)

by sachin_Anand » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:55 am
Heyy actually 1 more thing regarding this sort of question...

Is this question a sort of specific pattern in which 2 groups are talked about / compared & the correct option should talk about the group in question ??? can I simply cancel out C because it doesn't mention anything about the group(the group in question) that didn't view the advertising ???