LSAT CR Problem

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

LSAT CR Problem

by nkaplish » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:55 am
Dear All,

Would appreciate expert advice on this problem - picked it from an LSAT test online so guessing it's tougher than a regular GMAT CR problem.

15. If Local A.A. (Alcohol Anonymous) rehabilitation facilities are forced upon us - and society is determined that they should be forced - then it should be society that pays for them.

Considering the statements below, which one would weaken the argument above?

A. Many groups have been convinced by a government committee that the local rehabilitation facilities are unsuccessful.
B. The cost of A.A. facilities are too high to be funded locally.
C. Rehabilitation facilities are supported by many neighborhood groups.
D. The expense to maintain an A.A. rehabilitation facility is too costly.
E. Alcoholics may not want to accept treatment.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by killer1387 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:55 am
If Local A.A. (Alcohol Anonymous) rehabilitation facilities are forced upon us - and society is determined that they should be forced - then it should be society that pays for them.

Considering the statements below, which one would weaken the argument above?

A. Many groups have been convinced by a government committee that the local rehabilitation facilities are unsuccessful.
B. The cost of A.A. facilities are too high to be funded locally.
--> Irrelevant
C. Rehabilitation facilities are supported by many neighborhood groups.
--> out of scope
D. The expense to maintain an A.A. rehabilitation facility is too costly.
--> irrelevant
E. Alcoholics may not want to accept treatment.
--> who cares..!!

A should be correct.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:740

by Birottam Dutta » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:00 am
I guess B should be the correct answer. If the AA facility is too costly to be funded locally then it would be difficult for society to pay for them.

D is similar to B but only says that maintaining the facility is too costly. It does not qualify to say whether the cost is too high for local funding or too high for even the government.

A is irrelevant because the argument does not talk of the quality of the treatment but for who should be paying for the facility.

C and E are irrelevant to the argument.

Experts may please advise!

by nkaplish » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:18 am
Apparently the correct answer is A - killer 1387: could you please elaborate. Thanks

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:43 am
what is the actual source of this question?

I don't see how (A) could be correct, because many groups.. could mean 1 or 2 or maybe 1000 groups..too much wiggle room, something that a correct answer on the GMAT would not have.

I'd let an expert comment on this, but it sure does not look like a GMAT question to me.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by killer1387 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:18 pm
nkaplish wrote:Apparently the correct answer is A - killer 1387: could you please elaborate. Thanks
A breaks the premise; as if society back offs then there is no question of society paying or even the argument would vanish.

If we see B; what if the cost are too high, its not the issue at hand. If cost is high then its the headache of society who cares; the main purpose that amount should be paid by the society still stands. Author just wants to force that its the society that should pay. We just need to focus upon this claim and try to weaken the force of the claim. A clearly does that.

Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:740

by Birottam Dutta » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:08 am
I guess I get your point partly, but I am still not convinced. Bottom line is that it is a great question and I would really like an expert to also comment on it.

by nkaplish » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:47 am
The source is a sample LSAT paper I found online - I can now see why A.

Thanks so much Killer1387 - have just Thanked you for the answer.