Low Quantitative Grades

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

Low Quantitative Grades

by gvgseg » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:31 am
My overall undergrad GPA is 3.15 with the last 2 years being at 3.55. However, my grades in quantitative classes are far lower.

I started off in an integrated business and engineering honors program and therefore was taking higher level math classes with engineers. In the 3 math classes that I took, I got B/C-/C-. However, I got a 48 on the Quantitative section of the GMAT and a 700 overall.

Do you feel that I should address my low quantitative grades in the optional essay question? I already have to discuss the fact that I'm currently unemployed (but am applying to P/T programs).

My top choice is UCLA FEMBA but I am also considering USC, UC-Irvine, Claremont, Loyola Marymount, and Pepperdine.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by AppReview » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:05 am
Sure, you can use the optional essay space for this. But use it only if you feel a) they were extremely weak when compared to the rest of the class (if this is not so, use this space to point this aspect out and show your grades were comparitively good only) b) if you have good justifying reasons for the low score.

Your 48 on Quant is fine. If you try to justify this too much, the adcom might sense you are being overly defensive. I feel justifying school grades would be enough. Plus GMAT quant is easier compared to a college/university quant class :)

Regards,
Ankit
AppReview - Realizing your potential, transforming your dreams

A unique student collaborative venture - We are an eclectic mix of students having confirmed admission offers at Yale, Stanford, Cornell, Duke, Dartmouth, LSE, Cambridge, Imperial College, among others. Offering admissions consultancy options with the flexibility of choosing a custom mentor for all types of graduate and professional studies.

Follow us on Twitter | E-Mail: [email protected]