Low GPA

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Low GPA

by jsmith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:35 am
I have a low GPA. Although i am working hard at scoring high on the GMAT, i am also considering taking some courses to not only improve my chance of getting admitted, but also my chance of getting a scholarship.
I am considering getting a certification as i think this would help me professionally than taking some senior-level undergraduate classes. I am looking at the Project Management Professional-PMP(Project Management Institute), Financial Risk Manager-FRM(Global Association of Risk Professionals) or a certification course in Financial Management or Project leadership from eCornell.
Which of these, if any do you think will impact the most on my candidacy?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Mon May 03, 2010 12:14 pm
Thank you for your question. With a low GPA, taking courses can be a very good way to prove that your more current academic experience is strong and to show that you can commit to and achieve a goal, so I applaud your commitment to doing so. I think which certification you pursue depends largely on your overall profile and the areas where your grades are weak. For example, if you did not take finance classes in college, or if you did take finance classes but did not do well in them, then a certification focused on finance skills, rather than, for example, one on project management would do more to offset the admissions committees' concerns.

You should also be sure to write the optional essay (usually phrased as "is there anything else you would like the admissions committee to know") to explain your low gpa and guide them towards evidence of your abilities, like a high GMAT, courses or certifications, etc. Don't make excuses, but offer a reason for the low grades. If there are positive stories within the low gpa - like higher grades in business classes or in your last two years for example - tell them that as well.

Good luck!
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jsmith » Wed May 12, 2010 12:18 am
Thank you

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ketnet1 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:04 pm
Hi jsmith,

Thought I would add my comments here (hopefully you don't mind). I have the same issue with a low gpa (overall). They suggested me to take accounting or math courses.

Hi Jessica,

You mentioned in the last post that it is good if the grades in last two years shows improvement. Would this count if most of my last two year's grades are made up of non quant or few quant courses? (Given my 1st two year's classes are made up of heavy quant and upper division econ and calculus courses).

I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Thu May 13, 2010 8:39 pm
Hi Ketnet1,

Thanks for joining this string! Your question is an interesting one, and I have seen it quite a bit with the "formerly pre-med" or "former engineering" majors who are trying to shine their best light on a low overall GPA.

From reading your question it sounds as if you need to prove competancy in quanititative subjects and redeem yourself on that front. A strong quantitative score on the GMAT is one obvious way to do this.

Also, the good news is that you did improve your grades towards the end of college. This probably means you found your niche academically. Writing the optional essay to explain the upward trend over time in your GPA would probably be a good idea.

However, to the extent that you can also bolster this with an additional accounting, statistics or math class, I think it may be to your advantage. An admissions committee wants to know you will do well in their particular MBA program which includes quantitative coursework. It would be just another data point to balance out the lower grades in those first two years.

I hope this helps.
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process