LOR's....silly question?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

LOR's....silly question?

by briangtsmith » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:38 pm
Not sure if I'm supposed to know this but....well, I don't! ; )

What happens during the LOR process? I've chosen my two recommendation writers, received their blessings and...now what?

The applications for my various programs really don't give much info. Do my recommendation writers need to know which programs I am applying to? Or, will a generic letter from each be sufficient to use on every app?

My current supervisor is writing one of my rec's, and will do a killer job. That being said, I would rather he not know I am applying out of state, as I do not want him fearful of me leaving.

Any idea how this process works in practice?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by southbaynic » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:13 am
All the programs I'm in the process of applying to have a section on the online application for recommendations. Here, you enter the names and email addresses of your recommenders, along with some other basic info. The recommender receives an email with instructions for submitting the recommendation. You can see if the recommender has started working on the rec, and when they have completed it, so you can follow up as the deadline approaches if they haven't submitted it. The programs all strongly prefer, if not require, that the recommendations are submitted online this way.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by briangtsmith » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:51 am
Hmm, thanks for the tips Southbaynic.

Any other ideas?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:26 am
Usually a generic letter will not work for business schools. They will have certain questions that they want the recommender to answer and they may have "ranking scales" that they want a recommender to use. I agree with the previous poster - most everything is done online and the recommender will upload answers to questions or type them directly on the "application" form. Unfortunately, your recommenders will need to know the schools you are applying to (and whehter you are applying full or part-time and/or going out of state!).

My last point on LOR, you will be asked if you want to waive your right to see the LOR. You should always WAIVE YOUR RIGHT. This means you will NOT see what the recommender has written. This gives the LOR much more credibility in the eyes of the Adcom.

Good luck!
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options