like others here sorta a unique profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

like others here sorta a unique profile

by hudsn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:26 pm
like many people posting here i have afew strikes against me when it comes to admissions. my red flag is a lousy gpa, due to medical problems throughout college.

i hate to make excuses but i probably should have put college on hold till i was feeling better but it actually was a good distraction from my illness the only problem was my focus and such wasnt the best so my grades like many others dot represent my true academic potential.

i am lookin to get a phd in finance or gen business in the ny area.

i have taken 1 grad level pre-mba math type class with an A and about 12-15 credits from a community college in classes like finance, eco, & accouting I got A's on everything except a B in accounting so I

the gmats horrify me so i have been studying

my profile is a little unique as i had good work experience post-college but than became unable to work, temporarily disabled due to many surgeries. since i havent been working for a few years i have a lot of great volunteer experiece.

do you think i need to take any more classes? as i am looking to do everything to show that my lousy undergrad grades were just a temp thing,i hate to mak excuses but it was mostly due to the fact i was ill throughout college and the medicines were making me sleepy, hard to concentrate etc.

any advice would be appreciated. thanks again for the valuable opportunity you provode helping aid students.

thanks again

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:09 am
Dear hudsn,

I don't think you need to take more classes, but your GMAT score will also be important to demonstrate your academic aptitude for business school. It will also be important for you to write the optional essay regarding your low GPA and career path; be sure to address how you are now more prepared to take on business school and have your medical issues under control.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hudsn » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:35 am
i am trying to find that fine line between not making excuses but also explaining the reasoning for my poor academic peformance.

as faras my alternate transcript do you agree that it probably wouldnt make sense to take any additional classes, but to just focus on my application. either that or im hoping as some schools let you take a class or 2 sometimes as a non-degree student than transfer that to the applicable school program.

im terrfied of the gmats, this forum is great but i know i hve to score huge in them probably to offset other things.

thanks again