Like any weather pattern

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

Like any weather pattern

by akhpad » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:58 pm
Source: Veritas Prep

Like any weather pattern of similar virulence would do, once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it threatens drought in the western Pacific, eventually dumping excess precipitation in the eastern Pacific.

A: Like any weather pattern of similar virulence would do, once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it threatens drought in the western Pacific, eventually dumping
B: Like any weather pattern of similar virulence, once the water temperature in the Pacific Ocean is affected by an El Nino, then it threatens drought in the western Pacific and eventually dumps
C: As in the case of any weather pattern of similar virulence, once the water temperature in the Pacific Ocean is affected by an El Nino, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific, and eventually dumping
D: As any weather pattern of similar virulence would, once the water temperature in the Pacific Ocean is affected by an El Nino it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and will eventually dump
E: As would be the case with any weather pattern of similar virulence, once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and eventually dump

OA: E

What is the grammatical construction of E?

once ....., it will .... and ....
Last edited by akhpad on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by ashish2104 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:51 pm
I go with E.

A: Like any weather pattern of similar virulence would do, once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it threatens drought in the western Pacific, eventually dumping --incorrect compariosn using like. Like cannot be followed by clause
B: Like any weather pattern of similar virulence, once the water temperature in the Pacific Ocean is affected by an El Nino, then it threatens drought in the western Pacific and eventually dumps --modifier issue, weather pattern should mdify el nino
C: As in the case of any weather pattern of similar virulence, once the water temperature in the Pacific Ocean is affected by an El Nino, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific, and eventually dumping --same as B
D: As any weather pattern of similar virulence would, once the water temperature in the Pacific Ocean is affected by an El Nino it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and will eventually dump --Same as B
E: As would be the case with any weather pattern of similar virulence, once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and eventually dump --though wordy, it is the best of the rest. this sentence sorts modifier issue, maintains parallelism

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by this_time_i_will » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:53 pm
Like any weather pattern of similar virulence would do, once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it threatens drought in the western Pacific, eventually dumping excess precipitation in the eastern Pacific.

A: Like any weather pattern of similar virulence would do, once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it threatens drought in the western Pacific, eventually dumping: Like introduces a clause
B: Like any weather pattern of similar virulence, once the water temperature in the Pacific Ocean is affected by an El Nino, then it threatens drought in the western Pacific and eventually dumps since the introducory modifierr beginning with Like modifies water temprature, the sentence basically compares water temprature and weather pattern. Moreover, it seems ambiguous and at best wrongly referring to water temprature, the subject of previous clause
C: As in the case of any weather pattern of similar virulence, once the water temperature in the Pacific Ocean is affected by an El Nino, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific, and eventually dumping: same as B
D: As any weather pattern of similar virulence would, once the water temperature in the Pacific Ocean is affected by an El Nino it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and will eventually dumpsame as B
E: As would be the case with any weather pattern of similar virulence, once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and eventually dump looks good

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:30 pm
Received a PM asking me to respond.

So, the grammatical construction of E, let's see...

As would be the case with <any member of a group to which X belongs>, once X affects water temp, it will <take one action> and eventually <take another action>.

The "it" refers to X structurally ("it" is the subject of a subsequent clause; X is the subject of the previous clause). "It" also refers to X logically. So the pronoun is fine. The parallelism between the two actions works.

Once X does something, it (X) will <do another thing> and eventually <do a third thing>.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by akhpad » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:30 pm
Hi Stacey,

Thanks for your reply.

I still have a doubt.

As would be the case ..., once an El Nino affects ..., it will threaten drought ...

I can see that every parts has a verb.

As would be the case ... => I am OK
once an El Nino affects ... => "affects" is a verb. Is it a main clause or modifier.
it will threaten drought ... => "will" is a verb. It seems to be main clause.

What is modifier and what is main clause? I confused because of "once ..."

Generally, AFFECT is a verb, and EFFECT is a noun.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:45 pm
Generally, AFFECT is a verb, and EFFECT is a noun.
Often, yes. Not always. Just FYI, you can have sentences like these:
Her affect is snobbish.
She effected change.
(though these usages are not as common, so you probably don't need to worry about them on the real test)

Re: how to split out the main clause from modifiers, first split things by the commas. First, just to make sure you noticed, I didn't discuss main vs. subordinate clauses in my post. I just called one clause the "previous" clause and one the "subsequent" clause. The structural thing I was checking there can work regardless of whether the noun is in the main clause and the pronoun in the subordinate clause or vice versa, and it doesn't matter which one comes first.

In E, you'd have:
As would be the case with any weather pattern of similar virulence. (Not a complete sentence. Modifier)
once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean. (Not a complete sentence. Modifier)
it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and eventually dump excess precipitation in the eastern Pacific. (Complete sentence. Main clause.)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:10 pm
C: As in the case of any weather pattern of similar virulence, once the water temperature in the Pacific Ocean is affected by an El Nino, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific, and eventually dumping: same as B
D: As any weather pattern of similar virulence would, once the water temperature in the Pacific Ocean is affected by an El Nino it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and will eventually dumpsame as B
E: As would be the case with any weather pattern of similar virulence, once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and eventually dump looks good

If we write C as,
As in the case of any weather pattern of similar virulence,once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and eventually dump
In case of D
As any weather pattern of similar virulence would,,once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and eventually dump
In E
E: As would be the case with any weather pattern of similar virulence, once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and eventually dump
What is the difference in meaning conveyed by the 3 sentences

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:54 pm
Sorry I'm so late getting back to you. As you may have heard already, I'm only going to be writing articles from now on; I'm not going to be participating on the forums. I'm following up with people one last time, but going forward, please talk to Ron Purewal or Whit Garner, the two primary MGMAT instructors who answer questions here at BTG. Good luck!
If we write C as,
As in the case of any weather pattern of similar virulence,once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and eventually dump
El Nino affects the water temp, El Nino threatens drought, El Nino eventually dumps. And other weather patterns of similar virulence do these things too.
In case of D
As any weather pattern of similar virulence would,,once an El Nino affects water temperature in the Pacific Ocean, it will threaten drought in the western Pacific and eventually dump
El Nino affects the water temp, El Nino threatens drought, El Nino eventually dumps. And other weather patterns of similar virulence would do these things too.
In E
Ditto. Basically, the meaning of all three is the same in the above (re-written) examples.

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me