Letter of Recommendation - Recruting HR?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
Hi

I have joined the company that was my client before 6 months back. Actually, I was offered a job by them while I was a consultant with them. This has landed my in a precarious situation. I can't ask my client manager from previous organization for a LOR as he is my current functional manager. I can't ask my current supervisor as I have just joined the organization and more than anything good it will put in a very bad situation. My recruiting HR from the current org can give me a LOR. She knows me even before I joined the organization and I guess has a pretty good understanding as to why I was hired. Do you think it would hold any value to take LOR from a recruiting HR? I think she is the only person in my current org whom I can ask.

THanks
Kunal

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:43 pm
Hi Kunal, thanks for your question.

I don't think going with your recruiting HR person is a good way to go. Admissions committees will want to hear details and anecdotes about your work and working style. Your recruiter simply does not have those details.

Remind me, why can't you ask your client manager from the previous organization? I would've guessed it was b/c you didn't want to reveal that you might be leaving soon, but you cite a different reason for not asking your current supervisor. I'm a bit unclear.

Why couldn't you ask your most recent manager at the company you left 6 months ago? Many applicants have good reasons for not asking their current managers for recommendations.

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by kgkunalgupta » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:27 am
Hi Brian

Thanks for your reply. sorry for being little confusing here.

The reason I can't ask the client manager from previous organization is because he is my current functional manager. He is the person who has got me in to my new role that I was always interested in when I heard about it first. So he was my client before and a colleague now.

I just joined the organization 6 months back and don't think I will get one from my manager. Moreover, my manager has joined 2 months backs and I think that is too less a time to recommend anybody.

My problem is the second recommendation. I can get one from my manager in the previous organization. It is just that I don't know whom to ask for the second one.

I hope this helps!

Kunal