Length of Resume

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730

Length of Resume

by bjcoolj » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:45 pm
For schools that have not specified resume lengths, is it better to have a one-page resume with just highlight the main points in my professional career than to have two-page resume with more detailed descriptions?

I'm really lost. Some samples I've seen are only one page long and others are two to three pages long. The last thing I want is to have the admissions person lose focus or get lost in details; however, I also don't want him/her to think my one page resume lacks substance. ( I know I know, I should write a detailed one page resume, but I couldn't fit the details in one page - they are all important to me)

Also, do applicants usually include "Personal" section in their MBA application resumes? (Personal Sections that include your hobbies, interests, and personal business initiatives). I've never seen it before but many of the sample resumes I've obtained have it.

Please help. Thank you.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:1 members

by Brett N » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:32 pm
Hi bjcoolj,

In general, I would recommend a 1 page resume if you think you can fit all the important information in it. You have to think that the admins are looking at thousands of resumes and length is not going to help you must...if at all. But, if I looked at your overall offer, I might be able to more clearly say to do a 1 page or 2. I say this because maybe your work experience is a big strength of your so you might want a two page resume.

As for a personal section, I might include a small one but generally that's what your essays are for. It's all about using the different parts of the application to tell a story. Contact me directly if you want work on just overall strategy. We offer a package just for that if you're interested. [email protected].
Please free to contact me at [email protected] or through our
profile evaluation form.

Ivy App Success

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by Sophia007 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:14 pm
Usually, the norm is - 2 page resume, Arial font. However, please keep in mind, it has to be either 1 page or 2 page. It CANNOT be 1.5 pages. :) (I've had some cases where people write up 1.5 page resume. This can be a disaster).

Also, you need not write up your entire life history to just extend your resume. However, address everything that you have done in the last 4-5 yrs that can help the committee make a decision. Your resume has to be up-to-date i.e. Avoid activities that you did in 2001. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Sophia Pathak| Admissions Consultant |

If my post was helpful, let me know by pushing the thanks button.:) Please free to directly email me at [email protected]. ANY questions are welcome! check out what others have to say about their experience with me https://mymbamentor.com/?page_id=31

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by theGoodLife » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:34 am
can you elaborate on why 1.5 would be unadvisable? aesthetically i can understand this, but would like further explanation.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by Sophia007 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:42 pm
MBA schools generally go by industry standards. 1.5 page resume - is neither acceptable (from a format perspective) nor an industry standard.
Sophia Pathak| Admissions Consultant |

If my post was helpful, let me know by pushing the thanks button.:) Please free to directly email me at [email protected]. ANY questions are welcome! check out what others have to say about their experience with me https://mymbamentor.com/?page_id=31