Leeds University?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Leeds University?

by witwiyl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:31 pm
Hello.

I was wondering if you have any insight/knowledge on Leeds MBA program? I'm really thinking about making that one of my top choices.

Their website says:
Ranked 48th in the worlds top 100 business schools
Ranked 52nd in the world
EQUIS and AMBA accredited
CIPD accredited and ESRC recognized

It doesn't mention being AACSB accredited, though. Is that a problem?

by witwiyl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:43 pm
I just noticed that Cabridge's MBA program isn't AACSB accredited, so I'm guessing it's not a problem.

Leeds was on the Financial Times list for top global MBA programs (along side Harvard, LBS, Yale, etc.) So it seems to be a good school.

Any other insight would be great though. Is it tough to get in? Their website says international applicants (which I am, I'm from the US...Leeds is in England) may be asked to take GMAT. What is that about? MAY be asked to take it?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:01 am
Dear witwiyl,

Leeds or Cambridge could be good programs. However, they are only known in the EU, so getting a job back in the US could be a challenge. I am always leery of MBA programs that are not AACSB accredited and do not require the GMAT for all applicants. Many of them do a fine job educating their students, who go on to be successful. The Financial Times is usually one of the better rankings, so the fact they make the list is a good sign. I am simply biased after working for MBA programs.

Unfortunately, I am not real familiar with either of these programs. I think if you measure up to their class profiles, then you should be fine. I would just caution you to make sure you can achieve your career goals from these programs.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by witwiyl » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:18 pm
I think I may be a little confused. You said you are leery of programs that are not AACSB accredited.......yet you also state that the Financial Times is one of the better rankings. Which should I focus more on? The fact that Leeds and Cambridge aren't AACSB accredited, or yet the fact that Cambridge is #10 on the FT list, and that Leeds is #48?

I mean, even though they aren't AACSB accredited, does the fact that they are on the FT list kind of outweigh that??

I always thought Cambridge was viewed as one of the best MBA schools. Do you really think it would be difficult to obtain a job (well, more difficult when compared to others) with an MBA from Cambridge? I always thought their program was ranked and known to be one of the top (worldwide, including the US)

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by gabriel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:17 am
If i could give my opinion. Leeds is a decent Business school but it definitely is not top 10 material. If you are an international student it is best that you limit your options to the top 10 business schools in UK. Take a look at the Financial Times ranking for the top european business schools. It gives a very good idea of the top business schools in UK.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:37 am
Thanks, Gabriel, for your comments.

In my opinion, AACSB accreditation carries far more weight than any ranking. What I stated was that of any of the rankings, I think the Financial Times is a better reflection of the schools than any other. But I am by no means a fan of any of the rankings as all are flawed in their methodologies. So, the fact that the Financial Times recognizes Cambridge and Leeds in its ranking is a positive, but does not outweigh my bias towards the AACSB accreditation.

Ultimately, you need to pick the school that is best for you. I am simply providing you my opinion.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vanesslondon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:22 am
This is a fantastic site, but don't forget that it is a US site.

I live in the UK and I have to say that accreditation is really secondary to me, and many people here would just not factor it in. I want to go to a top 3 US school, so these will be accredited, but I do not think that accreditation is an important factor in the UK - not at all, in fact.

Whilst in the US all schools are accredited, abroad many are not. It is telling that an Israeli Business School with a Kellogg alliance (you get a joint degree) is not accredited. This gives an indication that this is not an important factor outside of the US.

I think that Cambridge and Leeds are good business schools that will not set you back because of any lack of accreditation, but do note that they are not the best. This is not linked to accreditation. Whilst Cambridge has a top class reputation generally, its business school is not renowned, so be aware of being dazzled by the Cambridge name.

Good luck whatever you decide!