Lawyer wanting MBA needs some advice

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Lawyer wanting MBA needs some advice

by spla626 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:42 am
Hi all,

I am 29 y.o. french male with almost 5 years of professional experience. I work in a Big Four as a lawyer. My main focus is Tax law, but I have also worked in public contracts and construction contracts, giving advice and negotiating, and capital markets litigation.

I have a 710 GMAT and good scores from a very top law school in france (not easy to translate into american GPA).

I would like an MBA to make a career change and jump into finance or entrepreneurship -or both together-. My last year in law school I realized that I was as interested in law as in economics and finance. So, after almost five years of intesive law practice I want to change and work in the side of the client, the companies. I also look for an international experience.

I am interested in Wharton, MIT, Chicago, Harvard and LBS.

Could someone asses my chances, please.

Could I do something to improve those?

Thank you in advance

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:40 pm
You have several things going for you, which frankly is good since I see your list is a very exclusive one, so you will need advantages. Firstly, being from France, which has some great MBA opportunities, we find fewer French students applying in the US. This makes you more valuable to these schools, since you offer a cultural perspective which is harder for these schools to come by. Additionally and partially for the same reason, your law training and experience will offer a professional perspective which is more uncommon in b-schools and therefore desirable to help diversify the classroom. Of course the key will be in casting a vision for your post MBA career which fully explains why you want to make this move and why you have chosen these specific schools, but with your great GMAT score and these advantages I listed above, you should have a good chance at one of these schools saying yes if your application is tight.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options