Keep Your Eyes on the Prize

Knowledge base for the new GMAT Focus Edition
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

Keep Your Eyes on the Prize

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:24 pm

First things first: stop thinking about anyone’s GMAT score except your own. Yes, you need to research the average scores of students admitted to the schools you’re interested in, so you can set an appropriate score goal for yourself. But beyond that, other people’s scores are not your concern!

Instead of thinking about how well your competition is doing and worrying that you won’t measure up, remind yourself of why you’re studying for the GMAT in the first place: to get into that great school and get the career you want. Every time you sit down to study for the GMAT, you’re changing your life for the better. Sure, you can’t predict the exact outcome of your efforts. But when you’re preparing for the GMAT, you’re still doing something positive for yourself. So, why not give yourself some credit and feel proud of yourself for that?

To help keep your eyes on the prize, you can also try some positive affirmations for studying with purpose, optimism, and even excitement. For example, before each study session, you can say to yourself:

This is bringing me one step closer to the score I want.

Or,

Kellogg, here I come!

At the close of each study session, you can tell yourself:

I just got better at the GMAT.

Or,

One less study session to go!

Even if you don’t feel that different in the moment, over time, these positive affirmations will help you stay focused on and feel more optimistic about your studying.

Warmest regards,

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder & CEO, Target Test Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re: Keep Your Eyes on the Prize

by Shelve » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:01 am
You are 100% right, many people understand the effectiveness of their work only by comparing themselves to others, and this usually has bad consequences. I've long since weaned myself off of this, I realize that everyone is different, and therefore productivity is different. Thank you very much for the affirmations, I will need them to concentrate better on my preparations)))))