kaplan modifier

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

kaplan modifier

by resilient » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:16 pm
Because ancient Egyptians considered animal fibers impure,religious garments were made only of plant based materials, while wool was used to make clothing for everyday wear

a.religious garments were made only of plant based materials, while wool was used to make clothing for everyday wear

b.they used only p;ant based materials in the production of religious clothing, unlike wool,which they would use to make clothing for everyday wear.

c.they used only plant based materials in the production of religious garments but used wool to make clothing for everyday wear.

d.it was used, as is wool, for making into clothing for daily, while only plant based materials were used to produce religious garments

e.they, like wool, would only be used to make clothing for daily wear........

OA is C

comes down to b and c

b has a faulty hidden comparison. BUT ISN'T THE "THEY" AMBIGUOUS? Can't it refer to fibers or Egyptians? This has puzzled me for a while?
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by xeqtr » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:39 pm
they used only p;ant based materials in the production of religious clothing, unlike wool

I think bold part is weird as well, you can not say the production of religious clothing, unlike wool..imo unlike wool should be placed just next to animal fibers.

second, "would use" changes the meaning of sentence, it supposes that they barely used wool in clothing or never they did.

please correct me if I am wrong.

Legendary Member

ok

by resilient » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:50 pm
yes, in regards to the sounding off part its true but more importantly we have to eliminate grammatical errors first. When we use LIKE WOOL it creates a faulty comparison.

BUT the heart of the matter is the confusing word they in the beggining of the choices. Doesnt it ambigously refer to the fabrics or Egyptians?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: ok

by xeqtr » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:01 am
if that's the case..then the first "they" in choices b and c would very well refer to fabrics or egyptians as well..what's the difference with the 1st they and 2nd they in choice B? sorry if I get it wrong.
Enginpasa1 wrote:yes, in regards to the sounding off part its true but more importantly we have to eliminate grammatical errors first. When we use LIKE WOOL it creates a faulty comparison.

BUT the heart of the matter is the confusing word they in the beggining of the choices. Doesnt it ambigously refer to the fabrics or Egyptians?

Legendary Member

by resilient » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:24 am
exactly- choice b has two different theys whihc causes ambiguity. BUT choice c has one they and it can refer to fabrics or Egyptians. IM confused.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by krajaram29 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:36 am
a is passive.
b -- guess 'they' is not an issue here. but 'they used' and 'they would use' is not parallel.
c is worded corretly.
d and e are out of scope.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: kaplan modifier

by lunarpower » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:22 am
Enginpasa1 wrote:Because ancient Egyptians considered animal fibers impure,religious garments were made only of plant based materials, while wool was used to make clothing for everyday wear

a.
b.they used only p;ant based materials in the production of religious clothing, unlike wool,which they would use to make clothing for everyday wear.
c.they used only plant based materials in the production of religious garments but used wool to make clothing for everyday wear.
d.it was used, as is wool, for making into clothing for daily, while only plant based materials were used to produce religious garments
e.they, like wool, would only be used to make clothing for daily wear........

qa is C

comes down to b and c

b has a faulty hidden comparison. BUT ISN'T THE "THEY" AMBIGUOUS? Can't it refer to fibers or Egyptians? This has puzzled me for a while?
hey -

you are right that, technically, yes, 'they' is ambiguous. however, the gmat has been known to allow pronouns that are technically ambiguous when BOTH of the following criteria hold:
* there is only one possible antecedent that is GRAMMATICALLY PARALLEL to the pronoun (i.e., subject if the pronoun is the subject; object if the pronoun is the object; etc.)
* the context of the sentence makes the other possibilities ridiculous

in this example, both conditions are satisfied:
* 'ancient egyptians' is the subject of the first clause, and 'they' is the subject of its clause
* the idea that fibers could use other fibers to make things is beyond ridiculous.

STILL, if you're going to select an answer choice that uses pronouns in this way, it's a good idea to check to see whether ALL the decently good answer choices do likewise. that's the case here: the only choices that don't use 'they' are a and d, and both of those choices are fatally flawed (neither of them contains any implication that the egyptians were the ones making the clothing).

was this question from gmatprep, or from another source? that matters a lot, too.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron