Kaplan/Curators

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Kaplan/Curators

by rishijhawar » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:11 pm
In Order To Document Their Contribution To The Field Of Structural Engineering, The Curators At The University's Art Museum Organized A Comprehensive Exhibition Of The Work Of Leading Swiss Designers, Including Photographs, Diaphrams, And Models Of Their Most Famous Bridges And Buildings

A) the same (entire sentence).

B) In Order To Document The Contribution Ofthe Swiss To The Field Of Structural Engineering, The Curators At The University's Art Museum Organized A Comprehensive Exhibition Of The Work Of Leading Swiss Designers, Including Photographs, Diaphrams, And Models Of Their Most Famous Bridges And Buildings

C) In Order To Document The Contribution Ofthe Swiss To The Field Of Structural Engineering, The Curators At The University's Art Museum Organized A Comprehensive Exhibition Of The Work Of Leading Swiss Designers, Including Photographs, Diaphrams, And Models Of Its Most Famous Bridges And Buildings

D) In Order To Document Their Contribution To The Structural Engineering Field, A Comprehensive Exhibition Was Organized By The Curators At The University's Art Museum Of Their Photographs, Diaphrams, And Models Of Their Most Famous Bridges And Buildings

E) The Curators At The University's Art Museum, In Order To Document Their Contribution To The Structural Engineering Field, Organized A Comprehensive Exhibition Of The Work Of Leading Swiss Designers, Including Photographs, Diaphrams, And Models Of Their Most Famous Bridges And Buildings.

[spoiler]Stuck between A&B. [/spoiler]OA, after some discussion.

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:12 pm
The curators - singular .

So "their" in A and E is wrong.

D - wrong modification. "In Order To Document Their Contribution To The Structural Engineering Field" should modify the curators. - eliminate.

Left with C and B :

here "its" should refer to swiss designers, which is plural so "their" in B is correct.

Hope this helps !!

Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:01 am
avik.ch wrote:The curators - singular .

So "their" in A and E is wrong.

D - wrong modification. "In Order To Document Their Contribution To The Structural Engineering Field" should modify the curators. - eliminate.

Left with C and B :

here "its" should refer to swiss designers, which is plural so "their" in B is correct.

Hope this helps !![/quote

You should read the origin sentence again. I do not see any sentence contain curators (plural) in singular form.

Legendary Member

by avik.ch » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 am
tuanquang269 wrote: You should read the origin sentence again. I do not see any sentence contain curators (plural) in singular form.
"The curators" --- is singular. As there is an article "the" and what follows the article is always singular.

In Order To Document Their Contribution To The Field Of Structural Engineering --- > here "their" should logically refer to "the curators". This is wrong as a plural pronoun cannot refer to the singular noun.

If you feel I am going wrong anywhere, Please share your thoughts.

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

by karthikgmat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:49 am
I will go with C. Its is referring to SWISS.

Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:23 pm
avik.ch wrote:
tuanquang269 wrote: You should read the origin sentence again. I do not see any sentence contain curators (plural) in singular form.
"The curators" --- is singular. As there is an article "the" and what follows the article is always singular.

In Order To Document Their Contribution To The Field Of Structural Engineering --- > here "their" should logically refer to "the curators". This is wrong as a plural pronoun cannot refer to the singular noun.

If you feel I am going wrong anywhere, Please share your thoughts.
Thanks. I see it. "The Curators" is the name, so "The Curators" is singular.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:05 pm
rishijhawar wrote:In Order To Document Their Contribution To The Field Of Structural Engineering, The Curators At The University's Art Museum Organized A Comprehensive Exhibition Of The Work Of Leading Swiss Designers, Including Photographs, Diaphrams, And Models Of Their Most Famous Bridges And Buildings

B) In Order To Document The Contribution Ofthe Swiss To The Field Of Structural Engineering, The Curators At The University's Art Museum Organized A Comprehensive Exhibition Of The Work Of Leading Swiss Designers, Including Photographs, Diaphrams, And Models Of Their Most Famous Bridges And Buildings

C) In Order To Document The Contribution Ofthe Swiss To The Field Of Structural Engineering, The Curators At The University's Art Museum Organized A Comprehensive Exhibition Of The Work Of Leading Swiss Designers, Including Photographs, Diaphrams, And Models Of Its Most Famous Bridges And Buildings

D) In Order To Document Their Contribution To The Structural Engineering Field, A Comprehensive Exhibition Was Organized By The Curators At The University's Art Museum Of Their Photographs, Diaphrams, And Models Of Their Most Famous Bridges And Buildings

E) The Curators At The University's Art Museum, In Order To Document Their Contribution To The Structural Engineering Field, Organized A Comprehensive Exhibition Of The Work Of Leading Swiss Designers, Including Photographs, Diaphrams, And Models Of Their Most Famous Bridges And Buildings.

I am not sure whether THE CURATORS is singular /plural - IMO its plural and therefore, THEIR in the opening modifier is incorrect. THEIR refers to Curators meaning "Curators trying to document their own work" - this is not the intended meaning. Sentence intends to convey that curators want to document contribution of designers or some other people. Drop A

C - Models Of ITS Most Famous - we should use THEIR to refer to Designers;

D - Opening modifier incorrectly modifies Exhibition; Opening modifier has Same pronoun problem as in A

E - first modifier (In Order To Document Their Contribution To The Structural Engineering Field) has Same pronoun problem as in A.

B - Swiss correctly used

IMO B

Legendary Member

by avik.ch » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:50 am
patanjali.purpose wrote: THEIR refers to Curators meaning "Curators trying to document their own work" - this is not the intended meaning. Sentence intends to convey that curators want to document contribution of designers or some other people. Drop A
Can you please tell more on this. Why do you think that curators cannot document their own work ?

Please help !! Am I missing something here.

by shekhar.kataria » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:32 am
Hi Avik

"The Curators" is undoubtedly plural. I also rejected A on the same meaning ground as Patanjali did reject.

avik.ch wrote:
patanjali.purpose wrote: THEIR refers to Curators meaning "Curators trying to document their own work" - this is not the intended meaning. Sentence intends to convey that curators want to document contribution of designers or some other people. Drop A
Can you please tell more on this. Why do you think that curators cannot document their own work ?

Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.--Thomas A. Edison

If you find this post helpful, let me know by clicking thanks above :-)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:22 am
rishijhawar wrote:In Order To Document Their Contribution To The Field Of Structural Engineering, The Curators At The University's Art Museum Organized A Comprehensive Exhibition Of The Work Of Leading Swiss Designers, Including Photographs, Diaphrams, And Models Of Their Most Famous Bridges And Buildings.

In A, D, and E, THEIR contribution seems to refer to curators, implying that the contribution of the CURATORS is being documented. The purpose of the exhibition is to document the contribution of the SWISS. Eliminate A, D and E.

In C, its lacks a clear antecedent. Eliminate C.

The correct answer is B.

Please note that THE CURATORS is plural. The can be used to introduce a singular or a plural noun.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:43 am
In A, D, and E, THEIR contribution seems to refer to curators, implying that the contribution of the CURATORS is being documented. The purpose of the exhibition is to document the contribution of the SWISS. Eliminate A, D and E.
Hi Mitch,

While going through option A, I understood that the curators wanted to document their contribution. But your explanation says .. they wanted to document the contribution of Swiss.

Could you please help me understand how did you conclude that?
Regards,

Pranay

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ubhanja » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 am
It should be "C". SWISS as country is Singular. Instead of "their" ;"its" is correct usage.

Other this there is no difference between B and C

Legendary Member

by patanjali.purpose » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:02 pm
avik.ch wrote:

In order to document their contribution to the field of structural engineering, the Curators at the university's art museum organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading swiss designers.

"If The Curators are interested to document their own work why would they organize exhibition others work (ie work of leading swiss designers)? I felt that illogical. If I want to organize my own work then I will not invite others work."

Hope it helps.