Kaplan CR

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Kaplan CR

by crimson2283 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 pm
Cowonga lion cubs in the wild often engage in aggressive and even violent play with their siblings. This activity is apparently instigated by the parent lions. Cowonga lion cubs born in captivity, however, rarely engage in aggressive play. Zoologists have concluded that this form of play teaches the young lions the aggressive skills necessary for successful hunting in the wild, and that such play is not instigated in captivity because the development of hunting skills is unnecessary there.

The zoologists' conclusion would be most strengthened by demonstrating that

Cowonga lion cubs raised in captivity are unable to hunt successfully in the wild
the skills developed from aggressive play are similar to those used for hunting in the wild
the young of other types of predatory animals also engage in aggressive play
parent lions that were raised in captivity do not instigate this play in their young
none of the Cowonga lions raised in the wild is incapable of hunting successfully

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by boazkhan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:55 pm
I will go with A .. what's the OA?

by cyrwr1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:57 pm
I'm going with B here.

since 1) Cubs aggressive in the wild
2) Cubs not aggressive when captive

Conclusion: Aggressive play---> successful hunting and not need because of captivity.

IMO, B fills the void.

Followed by:6 members

by manpsingh87 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:48 pm
crimson2283 wrote:Cowonga lion cubs in the wild often engage in aggressive and even violent play with their siblings. This activity is apparently instigated by the parent lions. Cowonga lion cubs born in captivity, however, rarely engage in aggressive play. Zoologists have concluded that this form of play teaches the young lions the aggressive skills necessary for successful hunting in the wild, and that such play is not instigated in captivity because the development of hunting skills is unnecessary there.

The zoologists' conclusion would be most strengthened by demonstrating that

Cowonga lion cubs raised in captivity are unable to hunt successfully in the wild
the skills developed from aggressive play are similar to those used for hunting in the wild
the young of other types of predatory animals also engage in aggressive play
parent lions that were raised in captivity do not instigate this play in their young
none of the Cowonga lions raised in the wild is incapable of hunting successfully
IMO A, although option b looks very tempting, I'll try to explain why i choose A , as per the zoologists "violent play is not instigated in captivity because the development of hunting skills is unnecessary there." now look at option b it says "the skills developed from aggressive play are similar to those used for hunting in the wild" now from here two things are possible i) it talks about the lions born in captivity ii) it talks about the lion which are not born in captivity..!! as here two scenarios are possible one of which is supporting the zoologist and other opposing it, that's why i negate option b..!!! i hope it helps...!!!!