Kaplan CAT accuracy?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Kaplan CAT accuracy?

by willshu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:14 pm
Hi, I have recently taken two CATs as part of the premium online program, which in general, has been very helpful. The first time I took the test ("diagnostic") I received a 640 (62% Quant, 85% Verbal percentile) (26/37 Quant, 35/41 Verbal). The second time I took the CAT ("CAT 2"), which was today, I received a 750 (99% Quant, 99% Verbal) (30/37 Quant, 30/41 Verbal). Now obviously I am pleased with this score, but I do not understand how there can be such a discrepancy in the scores given I got 5 additional verbal questions wrong versus last time, and still managed to score in the 99th percentile? The only logical reasoning behind this is that the questions on the CAT 2 were much more difficult versus the Diagostnic. My impression is that they were of a similar difficulty. If I break down the two tests by Low/Medium/High difficulty, it is clear that the second test had far more questions characterized as "difficult" and only had 2 "low" questions in total, both in verbal and math. On the other hand, the diagnostic had a whopping 29 total questions considered a "low" level of difficulty. Given I got the first 14 questions right on the verbal section of the first test, this appears to be illogical to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:04 pm
Hi willshu,

It's a bit hard to answer specifics without seeing your results. However, your Kaplan teacher can log into your website and look at your scores to make a more informed judgment of the situation. Alternately, I'd be happy to take a look myself if you PM me your name and the center you're taking your class in (don't worry, I don't need a private password or anything like that!)
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage