Just took the GMAT - 730

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Just took the GMAT - 730

by gogetter08 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:01 pm
Background: Engineer by profession, prepared for 1.5 months, working full time studying for 1.5-2 hrs mostly on avg. Did not take time off from job.
study material - OG11, manhattan sc, cr, rc guides. My preparation was almost centered around verbal. So I'll focus my suggestions around that.

Personally, I am terribly disappointed with my score and have been feeling like crap all day because of my score but I'll spare you from my feelings for another thread.

I took my GMAT today and got 730(Q51, V38). Here are my test scores.

MGMAT T1 - 640
MGMAT T2 - 680
**** after finishing all verbal material
MGMAT T3 - 710
MGMAT T4 - 730
MBA prep T1 - 740
MGMAT T5 - 760
MGMAT T6 - 750
MBA prep T2 - 760

I learnt several tips from this forum and here is my attempt to give back. If you follow these closely with dedicated efforts, I can guarantee that anyone can score well in GMAT.

My strategy and mantra:

- FOCUS on quality over quantity. Ensure that you fully understand why a particular answer is correct whether you get it right or wrong. Dont worry about solving 1000s of problems. Quantity does matter but I repeat, quality before quantity

- GMAT is merely not a test of your knowledge of the problems but your ability to apply that knowledge in timed conditions. so I started taking tests and solving problems with a timer 2 weeks into my preparation even before I completed the material. I wanted to build my mental stamina to sit for hours and focus on problems

- After every test, I'd take great pains to analyse my performance, noting the concept learnt in a notebook(even if I knew it and havent applied it). I would also observe my longest pole in verbal and practise them. My test scores above reflect the effects of this. They did not increase out of sheer coincidence. If you look deeply into your performance, you can improve sharply and efficiently.

- Throughout your preparation, make sure you question your knowledge and preparation. You've to attack your preparation mode dynamically so that you can quickly plug in the gaps in your preparation process.

I thank everyone of you on this forum who has taken pains to share knowledge. I learnt a lot from you all and wish you the very best in your future endeavors.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mbadrew » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:14 am
Congrats! Thanks for the sound advice.