Just started to study for the GMAT and Im so discouraged.

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Yeah. Im not sure if I can do this. I dont think I'll have too much trouble with the verbal sections of the GMAT, but anything in the quantitative section? forget it! I havent had a math class in 7 years and even when I did, I struggled through them.

Is there any hope? I'm taking a 'intensive study' prep course through UCLA and I have a prep book, but the teacher will assign us the math problems he says are pertinent and I just stare at them for minutes on end trying to figure out strategies to solve them. This is to the point where I feel retarded. :( Even on the SAT, I did much better on the verbal, than I did on the math section :( :(

I dont even know where to start with my studies. Is there hope?

Has anyone felt the same way?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kmull » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:17 am
I just started studying too. I am finding it extremely helpful to just review all of the different rules in the math sections. I haven't taken a practice exam yet, just trying to master the rules.

Is there something in particular you struggle with? You could focus on those areas with flashcards (either download the ones here, or make your own).
Taking GMAT Fall 2007
Applying for Fall 2008 MBA (Duke, Vandy, UNC)

Community Manager
Followed by:2 members

Wondering, too

by GCHall840 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:09 pm
I am taking the Manhattan GMAT virtual online course at the present time.
Honestly, there have been the times when I really did wonder if I could get through the math part of the course. However, I think that their math strategy guides really do focus on all of even the most basic concepts in math. If I get stuck on some particular kind of math problem, there are quite a few different kinds of resources out there, that have helped me, too. That is also why I like the Official Guide to the GMAT because when I have been practicing the problems in there that correspond with the MG content material, I always look at the explanations that are provided with each problem. Looking at those explanations has really helped me to understand what I did wrong as well. You could also look into study guides like Arco, Princeton Review, or even Kaplan because they have books that just cover math reviews for the GMAT, etc. I would not let that discourage me because persistence about learning what you need to know about math and the amount of practicing that you do with those kinds of things, will get where you need to be in regards to the test.

Greg

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by scoutkb » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:36 pm
Hey...you are not alone. I started studying a little over 2 months ago and i couldent even add fractions correctly. I have improved with practice. I second the ARCO's and MGMAT books. It takes time, but its a function of how much effort you are willing to put in. If you are good at verbal, try and max that out. Even if you get into the 70th % of math and 90% of verbal you will be in the high 600's or even touch 700. I read a lot of posts from people who started really low and scored well on this test. Remember...its all what you put in. :)

by mbaprocrastinator » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:40 pm
I should agree with the other replies to the original post. For me its the other way round. I believe my quant skills are good, while my verbal skills aren't that good, especially when it comes to RC and CR. But with the amount of material available, it all depends on the effort you are willing to put in. If you have friends with whom you can discuss the problems with, you can try that. Start slowly, but take firm steps forward. The path to great scores is not that difficult if you practice, practice, practice and practice more :). With the resources available on this site and other sites, i'm sure that you will find enough problems for practice. If you have any difficulty, post your questions on these forums and someone would have run into the same problem you are facing and will be more than willing to help. I know I am speaking for others, but in the short while I have been on this forum I have gained a lot more knowledge than I probably would have elsewhere.

I am currently using the OG 11th ed, Kaplan GMAT, Kaplan 800, GMATPrep software and Princeton Review software. If you master the techniques outlined in the OG, it should go a long way in helping you crack the quant problems.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Cheers!

by fsar45 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Depending on when you're taking the GMAT, it would be a good idea for you to take a college math course this summer. I would have actually done that before taking a GMAT prep course, but unless they'll let you resume the course after taking a math course, you're probably going to need to slog through it.

What course are you taking? Is it a UCLA course, or is that just where it is? Can you talk to the instructor to get some extra help outside of class? When I checked into courses Princeton Review emphasized that you can get quite a bit of extra help outside of class (although at some point a tutor might be the way to go). Definitely try to get some extra help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:45 pm
Also - I'm not sure what problems your teacher is assigning, of course, but make sure that you start with easier problems and work up to more difficult ones. If you can, it's actually best to start with straight math problems - not GMAT-tricky, not multiple choice - just to make sure you understand the concepts. And then move up into lower level GMAT problems, and then mid-level and so on. The questions in the official guide books are generally in increasing order of difficulty (I haven't found this to be absolute, but it is generally true) - so you can use that to help decide what problems to do first. (And if the course you are taking does not use OG, RUN to the nearest bookstore and buy them. Everyone should study with OG.)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sev » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:02 pm
Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone. It is certainly encouraging hearing all of your experiences.

Ive been practicing about 2 hours a day on the weekdays on and off, and I'm getting better and the quantitative problems. But I still think I have a long way to go. The key to it I think is definitely to review the fundemental principles. Is there any books I can pick up that will cover just straight math problems, with decent explanations?

Stuff that's pertinent to the GMAT..