Just Started the Preparation

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Just Started the Preparation

by rish » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:59 am
Hello All,

I have decided to take GMAT and started the preparation in the last couple of days. Request you to please answer my questions before i go ahead.

1) Am i too late ? I plan to take GMAT sometime in the first week of September which leaves me with 3 weeks of preparations for the applications. I understand that i have no buffer for taking the GMAT second time. But do i have an alternative ?

2)After reading through some posts here , this is my strategy - Read Princeton Review/Kaplan guide, take couple of tests, review the OG and then use the Manhattan guide for Sentence Correction. Do i need to make any modifications here ?

3)I have been above average in Maths throughout my college days and i think i can beat the GMAT. The only constraint is the time. I work for 8 hours a day and plan to spend 3 hours daily on GMAT preparation. I am eying 650+. Do you guys think i can make it ?

by rish » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:49 pm
anybody plz ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by 4seasoncentre » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:28 pm
I think a month is plenty, depending on where you stand now and the score you want.

I had maybe 3 weeks worth of preparation and made it out alive.

I am confused when you say you have 3 weeks for the applications. The GMAT is one component of the application. Most of the other stuff can be presented quite quickly, but having 3 weeks to get letters of recommendation (assuming they are required) is very tight.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by moonshine » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:52 am
Have you taken a Diagnostic yet? Suggest taking GMAT Prep1 to identify your strengths and weaknesses so you can work on the important areas.

by rish » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:39 am
moonshine wrote:Have you taken a Diagnostic yet? Suggest taking GMAT Prep1 to identify your strengths and weaknesses so you can work on the important areas.
I took the kaplan practice test yesterday and scored 550 overall. I thought i did okay in Quantitative..But was pretty horrible with SC (just scored 19%). I am planning to review verbal section for a week and take GMAT Prep1 the following weekend.
4seasoncentre wrote:I think a month is plenty, depending on where you stand now and the score you want.

I had maybe 3 weeks worth of preparation and made it out alive.

I am confused when you say you have 3 weeks for the applications. The GMAT is one component of the application. Most of the other stuff can be presented quite quickly, but having 3 weeks to get letters of recommendation (assuming they are required) is very tight.
I meant after i take GMAT in the first week of September, i will have around 3 weeks to fill out the applications for the schools as well as get the recommendation letters. Do you think thats too less of a time ? If yes, what is my alternative here ? Shall i apply to the schools in the second round ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by 4seasoncentre » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:05 pm
Get started now and you should be ok.

Keep in mind it is summer time and your references may be taking a vacation.