Just started MGMAT SC book -- suggestions

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Just started MGMAT SC book -- suggestions

by kn2130 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:49 am
Hello,

I started going through the MGMAT SC book yesterday and need a little direction about what to do with all the grammar language and terms. Should I be creating flashcards and memorizing these terms? Or just learning how to apply? I feel like on every page there are at least 5 terms to learn and I'm not sure what the best way to approach this is.

Thanks so much!

MBA Student
Followed by:22 members

by fibbonnaci » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:16 am
Hi,
Flashcards are the best way to keep urself updated. But remember rote moemorization does not help. U need to be able to identify that error in a sentence and apply the rules taught in the book.
Make flashcards for all the items you wish to remember. Kepp looking into them everyday. When u feel you have completely assimilated the content, replace them with newer flashcards. I am sure in your GMAT journey, you will be constantly encountering new things everyday. Keep using your flashcards everyday until u assimilate the content. Next replace the content with a fresh one. Review the fresh ones everyday. So you can build a repository of all the terms and review all the flashcards once in a while. This way u will stay in connect with the older rules and applications.

Hope this helps!

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by rockeyb » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:29 am
Hey ,

First of all let me tell you , you have done the right thing by starting the MGMAT SC book and believe me when you are done with it you will see a lot of improvement , any ways worked for me at least .

As for the best thing that you can do to remember things I would say if you ask 10 different people you would get 10 different replies . That good , you can try out each of the suggestion and pick the one that you are comfortable with . Remember whatever works for is the best , and what works for you may not be good for some one else this is what I have noticed so far . So the main thing is try to suit yourself and be comfortable with whatever you choose.

Next flashcard are a great help , time and again people have said in this forum to make flash cards . You can make your own or download them for this forum "https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/free-gma ... flashcards" . I use Manhattan flash card they are good too .

Here is what I did when I started with my studies . As I studied each chapter I took notes , when I found a term that I didn't know what it stood for looked up in the glossary and made a note of it in my notebook.

Also if you go through the MGMAT SC books they have tried to explain each phenomenon by examples . These are very important ones specially the wrong ones . I copied these examples in my notebook too, not all just one or two explaining the concept and how it can go wrong. The reason I say the wrong examples are important is that when you attempt a SC problem you will know what kind of mistakes to look for in the options , instead of finding the correct one find what is wrong and move on . Believe me this works for me much better and save a lot of time . But this dose not mean you dont need to understand the concept , of-course you need to.

Once done with a chapter I would review my note regularly enough just to keep them fresh. I would every morning just give my notes a quick look for just 15- 20 mins like a warm up exercise .

Well that helped me a lot , hope it works for you too .
"Know thyself" and "Nothing in excess"

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kn2130 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:31 am
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback! It was extremely helpful!