Just got a 690 ... reflections from a non-Quant person

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Here is my story. Hope it's helpful to anyone studying now. In particular, those with non-traditional backgrounds may want to read this. I have a BFA in Film, and have worked in creative fields for several years, never actually took a math class in college.

Took the GMAT recently after about 3 months prep. Got a 690, 88th percentile, Quant 42, Verbal 41, and 6 AWA. Was painful to come that close to a 700 after all the work, but I have come to terms with the fact that it's still competitive for the schools I'm applying for. After speaking with several admissions people at different schools, I get the sense that unless you're insanely high, like 760, or really low, below 650 for top programs, as long as you're within the 20-80% range of the mean, it becomes more of a backdrop against which they measure your other accomplishments. I've been out of school a few years longer than a typical applicant and my strengths will hopefully be my work experience-an entrepreneurial career in the media and entertainment industry, and strong essays. I am finishing up essays for Round 2 to NYU, Columbia, UCLA, USC and Yale right now. The essay writing has been an absolute pleasure compared to remembering combinations and permutations.

My reflections in no particular order:

-My first practice test I scored a 550, so jumping to 690 is something I feel good about. Don't let a low first score dissuade you. The test is unlike any other test, and it's very common for people to score low at first. It really is about the work you put in. Things will come to you if you're diligent. I know that I could crack 700 if I took it again (see below),

-I never loved math in school and haven't taken a math class in like ten years. For me the quant section was obviously the biggest hurdle. In the end I was getting the content but I never fully nailed the pacing.

-Took a Kaplan math-intensive class. Big waste of time and money in my opinion. Way too rushed, not nearly enough time to focus on specific goals or subject areas. My teacher was actually a cool, smart, helpful guy, but the course is far too rigid and focuses too much on strategy and not enough on knowing the content. The Kaplan quiz banks and online content in general are helpful though, and the Ulitmate Practice Test, where you go to a Pearson center and take a Kap test was also good.

-From the beginning I was getting in the 90's on verbal. Quant was another story. In hindsight I'd have spent more time studying to truly ace the verbal. I did minor preparation but on my actual GMAT I scored in the 92nd percentile, whereas I'd been scoring in the upper 90's on Kaplan practice test. I think that one or two more hard questions right could have put me over the top of 700. Focusing on your strengths is a very important thing to consider. It's very tempting to focus exclusively on your weakest areas, but really acing the things you are good at will help you tremendously because hard questions are worth more points.

-I found though that studying math as an adult was actually much more satisfying than as a kid. Working at my own pace and being mature enough to overcome math phobia (Math education in this country is fairly appalling, but that is a discussion for another day...)

-Bought the 5 quant books from manhattan gmat, which were GREAT. I can't recommend them enough. I did one outside tutoring session and the tutor recommended them. They are fantastic, taking you step by step through challenging stuff, and really give you a firm grasp on content and strategy. I feel like the $120 I spent on that was twice as helpful as a $1500 Kaplan class.

-In quant, I would have spent more time on pacing, and maybe allowed myself another few weeks of prep time before taking the test. You can't underestimate the time you need for things to really "sink in" even after you learn them. I think I plateaud in the quant section, and a bit more time would have allowed me to reach a higher level.

-I recommend taking practice tests from different companies. You can get used to Kaplan questions, and you see questions that are almost identical from CAT to CAT. I did some quiz banks and a CAT test from Manhattan GMAT in addition to a few Kaplan CATs. Having the different writing styles is really helpful in breaking your own patterns and habits. Also, having two different sources is helpful for learning as well. There were times when an online lesson from Kaplan helped me more than a chapter in the MGMAT book. It's like teachers: some you just connect with and others you don't. It's good to have options.

-There are some distractions you just can't account for, so leave time to take the GMAT a second time. When I was in the testing room, I had those airplane mechanic headphones on to isolate myself, but still, there was a girl who either had whooping cough, swine flu, or some other horrible affliction who coughed outrageously loud for about 20 minutes of my verbal section. It was completely unacceptable and beyond the normal distractions one might expect. She should have left the room, or an attendant should have made her leave. I wanted to throw my monitor at her but then I wouldn't have been able to finish the test. A guy who was taking the GMAT in the same room told me after that he had to cancel his score because it was so distracting. I was definitely thrown off for a few minutes, and I generally deal well with distractions. Did it make the difference between a 690 and a 720? It's quite possible--a few really hard verbal questions could have significantly boosted my score, but I'll never know. The lesson of this story is that you never know what will happen, so it's best to leave enough time in the application process to take the GMAT a second time if you're not happy. I am fortunate because my score is still competitive, but I definitely would have preferred to take it again if I had the time. I know I could crack 700, but I just don't have time.

Something I'm glad I did was get into a regular study schedule. I didn't try to cram everything into 12 hours on Sundays, but did a few hours a night consistently for a couple months. I also took off two weeks before the test to immerse myself in GMAT land. Obviously not everyone can do that, but if you can take off a few days beforehand I really recommend it. You get into a better state of focus if you're not thinking about work and you're fresh when you study rather than at the end of a work day.

Good luck to everyone on their tests!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by stevieg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:19 pm
Congratulations on a great score!!

Being a non-quant person myself I can empathise with a lot of the things you mention. I am planning to take my GMAT on 18th Jan.

You mentioned that you have spoken to a lot of admissions people and they mentioned that 650 is the minimum. I'm slightly worried that I am going to get less than this because my quant is still quite weak. I am planning to apply to HBS for second round. My application is complete bar the GMAT. Do you think getting below 650 will rule me out?

Conversely I've also heard that each year at the top 5 schools there are folks that get in with a sub 600, even 550's provided they have a compelling application.

Just wandered what your thoughts were and well done on a great score!