Just barely beat the GMAT! 720 Q49 V38 - Test Day Advice

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all,

I've never posted on this site but I just finished my GMAT this friday and Im happy with my score split this time. I took the test for the first time in Jan and I got a 710 (Q47 V41) but i decided to retake the test because i did so poor on my Quant compared to my diagnostic tests. The person I wanted to thank the most was LunarPower from manhattan gmat. Your method and way of explaining approaches to the quant section was inspiring. You really saw things from a different level and that taught me to think of the smarter way of tackling questions. Towards the end of my test preparation, I was starting to be comfortable enough with the DS to feel out answers without really solving them into completion. I also want say a thank you to Stacy Koprince (i hope i got this name right) and Stuart Kovinsky. Your replies to some of the posts in the quant forums were very easy to follow and very clear. You guys are really an asset to to the prep companies you all work for and Im glad you three were so active on these message boards while I was studying.

I actually put in quite a bit of study time in the past 6 months for this test. I kept a study log and including all the hours used for diagnostic tests, I dedicated about 180 hours over the past 6 months to this test I used only OG and mgmat verbal books. The only math book I used was the mgmat number properties book (invaluable). I wouldn't recommend any other prep books for math if you are trying to do well on quant because everything else is way too easy. I have kaplan and princeton review books that a friend gave to me and the quant section on those I found a bit too easy. I had quite the reality check when I took my first timed gmat practice test.

I can do a much more extensive writeup but tons of people have done those so I will do it a little different and just give those about to take the test some test day tips ive gathered from here that I felt was helpful for me.

TESTWEEK/TESTDAY TIPS

Here are some tips that i followed that i would give to anyone who is sitting for the gmat. Some of these may sound very weird but they were things i kept in mind.

1) Start getting used to how your body reacts with caffeine and by this, I mean being able to sit through a complete section of the exam without needing to use the restroom. You have so little time in the math section so i forced myself to take restroom breaks right before the written portion and right after so that I knew I wouldnt have to go during the math portion. Knowing that I was in complete conscious control of my bladder gave me confidence throughout the test. Also, try to arrive about 30 minutes prior to the test and use the restroom before you even start. This ensures that you know where the bathroom is and you dont spend your short 8 minute break frantically looking throughout the building for the bathroom. This is probably the most useful tip I learned from this forum and the first one I would give anyone looking for test day advice.

2) When you sign in, ask for a set of ear plugs. I practiced taking tests the week prior with earplugs so i made sure to request a pair (they usually have them but i brought my own pair just in case) when i signed in.

3) When they give you your clipboard, request TWO of the markers. They will normally only give you ONE out of habit but just ask if you can have two "just in case the first one runs out of ink"

4) I started eating the same foods every morning the week prior to the test so that I could get into a routine. Naturally, this was what I ate the day of the test.

5) During the last portion of the test, the verbal section, with about 1/3 of the questions left, I closed my eyes and stretched just so my eyes could take a rest. I took a mini 1 minute break just so that I could refocus and kill the rest of the test. I never did this in my practice tests but i think i could attribute part of my success on the verbal section to me being able to focus for the entire section and not get bogged down.

6) regarding the two essays, dont even try to kill it. practice your skeleton/framework (https://www.beatthegmat.com/argument-ess ... 38032.html) and just hang the ideas on it.

Anyways, these were the major tips that I would give to anyone taking them..its a long test so make sure you are practicing full length tests (yes, this means do the essays even though they are BS) just so that you are used to sitting and focusing for 3+ hours.

Here are my practice scores if anyone is interested:

1/4 MGMAT #1: 650 Q43 V36
1/6 MGMAT #2: 660 Q44 V36
1/12 MGMAT #3: 700 Q44 V40
1/21 MGMAT #4: 700 Q47 V38
1/22 MGMAT #5: 660 Q45 V38
1/24 GMATPREP #1 710
1/26 MGMAT #6 690 Q48 V36
1/27 MGMAT #1A 750 Q48 V55 (repeat)
1/28 GMATPREP #2 700 Q49 V36
1/29 MGMAT #2A 730 Q50 V40

*1/30 REAL GMAT* 710 Q47 V41

3/16 MGMAT #3A 730 Q49 V41
3/19 MGMAT #4A 710 Q47 V40
3/21 MGMAT #5A 700 Q49 V36
3/23 MGMAT #6a 750 Q51 V41
3/24 GMATPREP #1 Retake 740 Q49 V41
3/25 GMATPREP #2 Retake 700 Q49 V35

*3/26 REAL GMAT* 720 Q49 V38

As you can see, I took many practice tests and I felt that was the best way to prepare after I spent the first 4 months digesting material from all the mgmat books. My scores were fairly consistent (compared to my first test quant disappointment) through my last few weeks of prep. My verbal on my most recent GMAT sitting was lower than my average but I've come to peace with it and am just glad that I never have to open those gmat books to study from again!! Having a score good enough to post in this forum with a success story was a motivational tool for me and I just wanted to share some tips with other test takers. This community has helped me so much! Thank you guys!!

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:28 pm
Congratulations on the score. 720 is awesome! But i don't understand why you titled this thread as "Just barely beat the gmat..." to me it looks like you have convincingly beaten the gmat!
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shantanu290 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:11 pm
Hi,
Can I wear sandals and shorts on the the test day. Can you recommend what is best to eat/drink in the breaks?