Journals.

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:620

Journals.

by usualsuspect » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:00 am
All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next generation. Some of these journal writers are true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists who feel compelled to record their every thought.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be true?
(A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation.
(B) Everyone who will be heard by the next generation keeps a journal.
(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists.
(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists.
(E) The next generation will bear some of those who are true artists but not all of them.

I see a lot of CRs with All A and some B types. Can someone throw light on how to proceed with such CRs.. is there any rule that we have to follow?
Aëtou gēras, korydou neotēs.
"An eagle's old age (is worth) a sparrow's youth".

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by quocbao » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:01 am
I will bet for A

A give a logic inference from the sentence

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by bmlaud » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:56 am
Confused between A and E, I think both the options are correct.

(A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation. Correct, beacause humourous observers who keep a journal will only be heard.

(E) The next generation will bear(should be hear) some of those who are true artists but not all of them. Correct, because only some true artists keep journals.
:?
"Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance."

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hashar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:56 am
I think D would be the right one.
The problem with A, according to me is this: Chances are that there are humorous observers who do not keep a journal but could have other means by which they could be heard by the next generation.

by Kunal_gmat » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:18 am
I think (C). It says:

"The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists."

As per the argument, all those who keep journals will be heard by the next generation and some of those are insufferable egotists and true artists. Thus, the next generation will hear these two categories. I think many people may reject this statement (C) assuming that it implies that all from the two categories will be heard, but it only states that the two categories will be heard (some or all is not implied).

GMAT Score:600

by dendude » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:30 am
I'm leaning towards D too.
If there are some journal writers who are TAs, HOs and IEs then there are most likely others who are not TAs, HOs and IEs.

by S0laris » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:51 am
D - IMO it touches the scope of all mentioned groups and if some people from overall set of journal-keepers are A, B, and C there are must be others some who are not A,B,and C - thus set is complete
we are the champions !

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by usualsuspect » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:36 am
The OA given is C
I didnt get this one right as i chose A!
Aëtou gēras, korydou neotēs.
"An eagle's old age (is worth) a sparrow's youth".

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by Vemuri » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:50 am
usualsuspect wrote:The OA given is C
I didnt get this one right as i chose A!
Can someone explain why the answer is C?

by S0laris » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:11 am
I got only one question:
...others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists...
is it about one group - humorous observers - who are also insufferable egotists ? Or two separate groups ?

If it is the same group of "others" then C is correct.
we are the champions !

by Kunal_gmat » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:06 am
Here is how I eliminated the different options:

(A)This could be true, but not definitely. There is a chance(however small) that all humorous observers will be heard in the future, if not by journals then by some other means.
(B) Nobody picked this option, for obvious reasons, people who do not keep a journal can also, and I think will also be heard.
(E) The argument talks of journals and being heard, not of true artists or their next generation. Tough to make this a "must be true".

That leaves with (C) and (D). I had picked (C) above. But when I read the answers from the other folks, I again started analyzing. S0laris, you hit the critical part of the argument here. Look at the following statement:
"Some of these journal writers are true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists"
This is like saying: "A box is full of pens, some are black and some are blue." Now are there any red pens? This we cannot tell. There may be or may not be. Thus there may be people who keep journals who do not belong to the above three categories, but also may not be. Thus we cannot be sure and thus (D) though practically makes sense, it cannot be a "must be true"
(C) is the most clear cut to deduce: I have provided the explanation above and here it is again:
"As per the argument, all those who keep journals will be heard by the next generation and some of those are insufferable egotists and true artists. Thus, the next generation will hear these two categories. I think many people may reject this statement (C) assuming that it implies that all from the two categories will be heard, but it only states that the two categories will be heard (some or all is not implied)."

by ashley.com » Sun May 15, 2016 3:07 am
I also will choose option A

by graem83d » Sun May 15, 2016 7:40 am
I agree with you guys. I also think that the right answer is A