Journalists

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Journalists

by madhur_ahuja » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:19 pm
Teacher: Journalists who conceal the identity of the sources they quote stake their professional reputations on what may be called the logic of anecdotes. This is so because the statements reported by such journalists are dissociated from the precise circumstances in which they were made and thus will be accepted for publication only if the statements are high in plausibility or originality or interest to a given audience—precisely the properties of a good anecdote.
Student: But what you are saying, then, is that the journalist need not bother with sources in the first place. Surely, any reasonably resourceful journalist can invent plausible, original, or interesting stories faster than they can be obtained from unidentified sources.

17. The student’s response contains which one of the following reasoning flaws?

(A) confusing a marginal journalistic practice with the primary work done by journalists

(B) ignoring the possibility that the teacher regards as a prerequisite for the publication of an unattributed statement that the statement have
actually been made

(C) confusing the characteristics of reported statements with the characteristics of the situations in which the statements were made

(D) judging the merits of the teacher’s position solely by the most extreme case to which the position applies

(E) falsely concluding that if three criteria, met jointly, assure an outcome, then each criterion, met individually, also assures that outcome

18. Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the teacher’s argument?

(A) A journalist undermines his or her own professional standing by submitting for publication statements that, not being attributed to a named source, are rejected for being implausible, unoriginal, or dull.

(B) Statements that are attributed to a fully identified source make up the majority of reported statements included by journalists in stories submitted for publication.

(C) Reported statements that are highly original will often seem implausible unless submitted by a journalist who is known for solid, reliable work.

(D) Reputable journalists sometimes do not conceal the identity of their sources from their publishers but insist that the identity of those sources be concealed from the public.

(E) Journalists who have special access to sources whose identity they must conceal are greatly valued by their publishers.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by acenikk » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:26 am
For first question, it is B, and for second also, it is B. OA ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:08 am
wowza, this looks like an LSAT piece.

i choose C and C. got no hopes.

by madhur_ahuja » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:24 am
It is an LSAT piece .. but revelant as per today's GMAT standards :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmatismybane » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:33 pm
1) B... the student assumes that the journalist can reproduce a anecdote without having to gather statements from a source and make it believable. However the student doesn't take into account that the reported statements (which result in an anecdote) could be a product of he circumstances in which they are given (via a source). So without a source, you don't get the reported statements thus you cannot produce the anecdote.

Thats my guess on that.

2) I have no clue. I guessed E. None of them look like strengtheners.

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:41 pm
In my opinion B for the first one and C for the second.

by arorag » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:59 pm
For first B and for second A

by madhur_ahuja » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:33 pm
arorag wrote:For first B and for second A
Thats it. Its B and A.

Arorag, Can you explain in detail, especially the second part ?

by arorag » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:31 pm
here is my reasoning for 2nd..
Teacher's argument is
What reporter do such as conceal the identity is not imp. becoz statements reported by such journalists are dissociated from the precise circumstances and will be publish only if the statements are high in plausibility or originality or interest to a given audience.

A strengthen the later part of argument

by kris77 » Sun May 15, 2016 3:15 pm
It seems to me that the right answer is A.