joint/dual degrees

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

joint/dual degrees

by IamApplying » Sun May 31, 2009 7:42 pm
Hello Stacy,

I was curious to know if you can specifically comment on joint MBA programs with MPP/MPA. I know HKS is a popular joint program...

First, doesn't the joint program ruin the whole idea of grad school "networks" given that you leave your classmates and then return back to school with different classmates. Thus you never spend the entire length of your program with any one set/group of people. (Have the joint program students formed their own network clique within MBA programs?) This whole idea of a strong network is important to me, and given the structure of this joint program I'm not sure if it will create a better network or not.

Second, I have noticed on many forums (not this site) that HKS does not have very high admission standards with an acceptance rate around 20%, compared to other harvard grad programs such as HBS/law/med. One reason some people say is because the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton is considered number one and they have free tuition but of course much lower acceptance. Their website gives very little information on this, and they don't give specifics regarding GMAT score ranges, do you know where past applicants you have worked with typically score for acceptance?

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:18 am
Dear IamApplying,

Joint program students usually do stick together, but are typically in small numbers. In addition to the network of the class you enter with, you will also have the opportunity to forge relationships with the students that entered in the previous year to you and the students that enter in the year after you. So, joint students do tend to still benefit from the networks they build in both programs.

As for the competitiveness of the Kennedy School, I would argue that it is highly selective with an acceptance rate of only 20%. That means only 20% of the applicants are offered a seat which is quite low. The Kennedy School is regarded as quite prestigious and its graduates have great opportunities. Since it is not a business school, the GMAT is not required of all applicants so you will not find statistics on the GMAT for that program. With joint programs, you need to check the admissions requirements to make sure a GMAT score will be accepted by both schools or if you need to take the GRE in addition to/instead of the GMAT.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me