Joint Degree programs :

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Joint Degree programs :

by yourkarthik » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:03 am
I am interested in Joint Degree program in Masters in Public Policy from harvard kennedy school of govt and MBA from Harvard,Stanford or Wharton.

My profile in brief

gmat score 770/6.0

Indian Army Major with 10 yrs of highly active combat experience in unique operations of war/ counter terrorist operations.

Consistent and documented track record of academic excellence - Four best student awards in all career courses.

International Experience - Deputation to UN Mission as international military observer from govt of India. Awarded commendation card from UN for Exemplary contribution to peace keeping.

Certified PMP -Project Management Professional from PMI.

Pursuing a post graduate diploma in investment banking.

Interested in : Investment Banking (near term), Microfinance and entrepreneurship ( medium term) and politics, governance, elected leader of india (long term).

My Questions:

While I have a clear plan as to why investment banking in near term (basically to make money to fund my entrepreneurial and microfinance dreams and make contacts with wealthy individuals), I wonder whether a degree in public policy NOW, will help me at all when I will take a plunge into politics after 10yrs!!

Will I be well off if I delay my public policy studies? or Would I run the danger of not able to take a complete break from my career to study at that point of time in future?

Is there a career which combines public policy and investment banking ?

Any insights?

And I am curious : Do I stand a chance of admission into Harvard,Stanford or Wharton?

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:14 am
Dear yourkarthik,

I'm not convinced you need the Masters in Public Policy, but you posted minimal information on your desire for this degree. I do think it will be difficult to do another masters program once you embark on an investment banking career. So if you really want the public policy courses, I think you should apply to programs that either offer a joint degree program or allow you to take public policy courses as part of your electives. (Some programs would count these courses towards your credit requirements for the MBA but others will not, so you want to verify that if you decide to just take some courses.)

You have a competitive profile for a top MBA program. It is a matter of you putting in the effort to build a strong application package to gain admission. As for careers combining public policy and investment banking, I am not aware of any real hybrids of these two. You could look into other types of banking or investments that involve the global stage, like the World Bank or M&A at a multi-national company.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by yourkarthik » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Lisa Anderson wrote:Dear yourkarthik,

I'm not convinced you need the Masters in Public Policy, but you posted minimal information on your desire for this degree.

You could look into other types of banking or investments that involve the global stage, like the World Bank or M&A at a multi-national company.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Dear Lisa

I am grateful for your prompt response. At this stage, neither am I convinced about the usefulness of public policy degree. However, advantages like being able to get two degree in three yrs and inter acceptance of few credits for both MBA and MPP is making me hold on to this line.

The MPP program from harvard Kennedy School of Government can be done concurrently with MBA programs from Harvard(jt degree) and Wharton, stanford or MIT (concurrent degree) as a 3yrs program.

Opportunities in World Bank? Sounds interesting. Let me explore that angle.

I shall certainly endeavor to build a great application package.

Thank you very much for your wishes

Karthik

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re: Joint Degree programs :

by stuart22 » Fri May 24, 2024 4:01 am
With your exceptional profile, a joint degree in Masters in Public Policy and MBA could indeed benefit your future political aspirations.

Your chances at top schools are strong. Consider consulting admissions consultants for personalized advice. Also, exploring IQ brain tests could enhance your cognitive abilities for these endeavors.