John was one of the few people to get his hands on an

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
John was one of the few people to get his hands on an advance ticket for U2's North American tour - a tour that was delayed by several months on account of front man Bono's back injury

A)to get his hands on an advance ticket for U2's North American tour - a tour that was delayed by several months on account of front man Bono's back injury.
B)to get their hands on an advance ticket for U2's North American tour - a tour that was delayed by several months due to front man Bono and his back injury.
C)to get their hands on an advance ticket for U2's North American tour - a tour that was delayed by several months because of front man Bono's back injury.
D)who got his hands on an advance ticket for U2's North American tour - a tour that was delayed by several months on account of front man Bono and his back injury.
E)who got his hands on an advance ticket for U2's North American tour - a tour that was delayed because of front man Bono and his back injury

I managed to eliminate B,D, and E because of the 'Bono and his back injury'it was delayed because of Bono's back injury,there's no need to repeat Bono and injury again.

So A or C is the right answer.I cant come to a conclusion as I haven't come across any theory to make a decision among these 2 answer choices.I have learnt of SANAM pronouns,but here we have 'one of'.What does the answer need to modify among A and C.Since we're talking about John, A looks a good answer,at the sametime there are people too and their is far from John,but closer to people in the sentence.

Please clear this one for me.

Thanks

Source:Veritas
Last edited by dddanny2006 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by neptune28 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:34 pm
Something's a bit off here. Answer choice A) doesn't even match the original. B-)

Assuming that "due to" should indeed be in the original sentence, "because of" is usually preferable. Dictionaries like American Heritage used to condemn "due to," but they seem to have relaxed a good bit on the matter. But I bet the people at GMAC still won't accept it.

Anyway, the question is: What exactly is "to get his/their hands on...." modifying? Well, let's ask it this way. John was one of the few people. What few people? The few people to get their hands on an advance ticket. The sentence is still a bit problematic, though, because we should have advance tickets instead of an advance ticket to match people, which is plural.

Here's another example:

Pauline is one of those girls who go/goes to the mall several times a week.

We now see that Pauline is one of those girls. What kind of girls? Girls who go to the mall several times a week. Personally, I think she just needs to get a life. :mrgreen:

So, I hope it's now more clear what the right answer should be.

Incidentally, what happened to all those other people who couldn't get their hands on tickets for U2??? Did they just end up seeing Debbie Gibson instead? ;)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by dddanny2006 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:09 am
Sorry,its now fixed.Thanks for your response,though I'd really prefer if someone from Veritas could clear my doubt.
neptune28 wrote:Something's a bit off here. Answer choice A) doesn't even match the original. B-)

Assuming that "due to" should indeed be in the original sentence, "because of" is usually preferable. Dictionaries like American Heritage used to condemn "due to," but they seem to have relaxed a good bit on the matter. But I bet the people at GMAC still won't accept it.

Anyway, the question is: What exactly is "to get his/their hands on...." modifying? Well, let's ask it this way. John was one of the few people. What few people? The few people to get their hands on an advance ticket. The sentence is still a bit problematic, though, because we should have advance tickets instead of an advance ticket to match people, which is plural.

Here's another example:

Pauline is one of those girls who go/goes to the mall several times a week.

We now see that Pauline is one of those girls. What kind of girls? Girls who go to the mall several times a week. Personally, I think she just needs to get a life. :mrgreen:

So, I hope it's now more clear what the right answer should be.

Incidentally, what happened to all those other people who couldn't get their hands on tickets for U2??? Did they just end up seeing Debbie Gibson instead? ;)