John drives 50 miles to work each day

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:23 members

John drives 50 miles to work each day

by BTGmoderatorDC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 pm
John drives 50 miles to work each day and returns by the same route in the evening. He is able to drive only 25 miles per hour during rush hour in the morning. He decides to come home early and take advantage of the light traffic in the early afternoon. He makes it back home in half the usual rush-hour time. What is his average speed to and from work that day?

(A) 25 mph
(B) 30 1�3 mph
(C) 33 1�3 mph
(D) 37.5 mph
(E) 50 mph

What is the best solution in this?

OA C

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:45 am
lheiannie07 wrote:John drives 50 miles to work each day and returns by the same route in the evening. He is able to drive only 25 miles per hour during rush hour in the morning. He decides to come home early and take advantage of the light traffic in the early afternoon. He makes it back home in half the usual rush-hour time. What is his average speed to and from work that day?

(A) 25 mph
(B) 30 1�3 mph
(C) 33 1�3 mph
(D) 37.5 mph
(E) 50 mph
Since the rush-hour speed is 25 mph, the time to travel the 50 miles during rush hour = d/r = 50/25 = 2 hours.
Time to travel the 50 miles in light traffic = 1/2 the rush-hour time = (1/2)(2) = 1 hour.
Average speed for the whole 100-mile trip = (total distance)/(total time) = 100/(2+1) = 100/3 = 33.33 mph.

The correct answer is C.

Alternate approach:

Generally, when the SAME DISTANCE on the GMAT is traveled at two different speeds, the average speed for the whole trip will be just a bit less than the AVERAGE of the lower speed and the higher speed.
The reason:
Traveling at the lower speed takes LONGER, with the result that MORE TIME is spent traveling at the lower speed than at the higher speed.
As a result, the average speed for the whole trip will be just A BIT LESS THAN THE AVERAGE of the lower speed and the higher speed.

In the problem above:
Since the trip in light traffic takes 1/2 the time of the rush-hour trip, the rate home must be TWICE the rush-hour rate of 25 mph:
2*25 = 50 mph.
Average of the lower speed and the higher speed = (25+50)/2 = 35 mph.
Thus, the average speed for the entire trip must be just a bit less than 35.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3